Friday, December 18, 2009

Change of Plan: Family reunion prosponed.

J's been away since Monday to do Part 2 of the training workshop for his work. And it so happens that today is my last day of German class before i have to go on a 5-week holiday. I was surprised how long the Christmas break is but then again i'm not going to complain. Then the course continues at the end of January and runs into February.

Originally this Christmas was going to be somewhat of a reunion. Planned months before. My parents were going to fly up to Germany. In fact they were due to fly out this Saturday. My sister was going to deliver her baby on the 18th December and J would have his training workshop and i would take the train to where the service apartment we booked and spend 10 days there.

But then things changed.

My parents are not flying to Germany but rather coming some other time. Maybe during Summer they said. My sister delivered her baby last Saturday by C-section and is slowly recovering. The baby is not even a week old and my sister and her boyfriend are slowly adjusting to being "parents". Whether or not they're just overwhelmed by the new addition, i don't know.

She's been very private about the whole pregnancy - i haven't even seen one photo of her in the last 9 months. So to be on the safe side, i'd rather not upload any photos of my niece just yet, well not until she puts up photos on her facebook and she gives me the OK. I mean, yesterday on the phone she said, the most stressful thing is not the baby, but rather the family members. I guess the excitement of a newborn is exciting for everyone and well, from how i see it she doesn't share our enthusiasm.

But i think my sister would rather be left alone and not have any visitors. So all we can do is respect that.

So then i called J yesterday to tell him the news and after some discussion we decided to still go on our holiday but cut the holiday to just a few days. It's not like we've gone on a proper holiday in ages. Maybe we can do a bit of sight seeing and perhaps visit a few museums. Maybe do some wine tasting and visit some Christmas markets.

So instead of the "family" being the focus this Christmas, J said maybe we'll just make this "our romantic getaway".

I'll be back before Christmas but if i'm not here to regurgitate my thoughts before then, i'd like to take this chance to wish all my silent readers and friends a very Merry Christmas! I hope you have something wonderful planned this year.

1 comment:

Fallah said...

OH MY!!! please give belinda my love and my congratulations!! x