Sunday, November 23, 2008

Snowy Sunday ends up in Hospital

Our weekend began rather relaxed. I've been craving Potato soup for quite some time. Winter is near and the air is crispy. I then decided i wanted to make a soup from scratch since the canned ones weren't doing it for me. J suggested a Potato-Apple soup. And since we don't own a blender, i just slow-cooked it till it was all soft and it broke down itself.


3 hours later, the results came out much better than i imagined. Although i didn't follow the recipe that i found online exactly, i must admit it tasted damn good and have titled it my "Bestest Soup Eva".

J was meant to work on Saturday but wasn't feeling too good so we spent the rest of the day in bed. It was a really nice change to have him all for myself for the weekend. But we spoke about the incident that happened last weekend and that helped clear the air. I think we realised many things and most of all, we really want to be together.

I looked outside and it had lightly snowed. We watched the snowflakes dance across the window. It looked so pretty. But then it stopped and i could see the blanket of whiteness already melting. There's something about snow that makes everything look so magical.

I wished for more snow.

Then this afternoon Little L was meant to stay over but J was complaining about a bad stomach and that he hadn't slept at all last night. It got so bad that he decided he wanted to go to the emergency room. We drove to a random hospital and after a blood test he was told that he had some kind of infection.


Eventually they got him to drink a litre of this specially treated water so that when they did the MRI scan, they'd be able to see what is really wrong.

3+ hours later we were told that he would have to be admitted.

As he was preparing to put on that Oh-So-Wonderful white hospital gown, i looked into his eyes and could see he was on the verge of tears. I told him that if he started to cry... i would. So we immediately looked at opposite walls but it was too late, my tears were already falling.

Apparently he has a colon infection and that they found a small hole. He was told that he's lucky he came in when he did since if he had waited 2 days more the infection would have gotten so bad that they would have to slice the whole front of him open much like when one has open heart surgery and crack open the front of the rib cage.

A relatively attractive brunette nurse called Jenny took his temperature and says he has a slight fever. He's going to be put on that drip until the infection is cleared and they say he has to stay in hospital for 10 days. They're putting him on a liquid diet and he's only allowed to drink 5 cups of tea per day.

Poor thing.

He's going to be needing some serious fattening up when he comes home. Then in 4-6 weeks he has to come back for an operation. Although the incision is not as big, the very thought of him having to be operated is scary. They're making 3 incisions a few centimetres long. And i'm very sure he's not looking forward to it.


By the time i left the hospital it was about 7 hours later. The doctor gave us a free pass so that the car can stay the night. If he hadn't, visitors that leave their car in the bay have to pay a whopping 150 Euro! J's friend is coming by tomorrow to help him drive the car home.

I walked out and it had snowed. It was still snowing and having not worn my Timberland's meant that it wouldn't be long till my feet were soaked. My drivers' license has not be translated and i have no idea how to drive on the other side of the road, so i found an umbrella in the car and decided to take the tram. I would have taken more photos but my toes were frozen and the last thing i wanted to do was bust out my camera. The roads were covered in slush and my shoes have no grip.

I am sooOoo happy i bought a pair of super warm gloves.


I've never been to that part of town and trying to find the tram stop AND the right line was a bit of a challenge. I turned off the wrong road and was walking down some other direction. Not exactly smart since the snow was starting to pick up and my feet were already numb.

The weather man predicts snow until Tuesday and a low of -5 celcius.

I eventually gave up after half an hour or so and hailed a cab. It cost 10 euro [multiply that by 4.5 to get that in Ringgit] and the distance was probably only worth 10 minutes. Taxis are so damn expensive here!

So yea. Which leads me to now...

Everything is exactly where we left it and the series we were watching was still on Pause when i returned home. "Don't turn it off, we'll watch it when we come back, we won't be long", he said. Well i don't think i can keep it paused for 10 days.

Anyway, i'm going to try and wind down then TRY and sleep.

I miss J already.

No comments: