Thursday, April 07, 2011

Nesquik Zucchini Loaf

There was a time last year when i went through a baking phase. I felt it was my only outlet to be creative and it got my mind off work. So every few days i would either bake a Blueberry Cream Cheese cake, some kind of Vegan Apple + Carrot muffin, Yellow Cupcakes or Shortbread cookies.

I craved chocolate and all kinds of sweets. Perhaps it was because i had stopped smoking months before and my taste buds were given a chance to finally appreciate sugar in its true form.

But it wasn't long until both J and my clothing started getting snug. And that's when i realised our metabolisms from when we were kids was finally dimensioning. So for the last four months i've avoided the baking aisle in the supermarket and kept my measuring spoons, mixer and scales out of sight.

Then less than twenty-four hours after Grumpos and my visit to the café last Saturday, we were both craving more of that moist chocolate zucchini cake but somehow couldn't justify paying 2.50 Euro for a piece.

So on Sunday i went online looking for a similar recipe but i was missing one vital ingredient; the chocolate. J then reminded me we had a huge box of Nesquik in the cupboard and hoped that there was a recipe out there that used Nesquik instead.

And lo and behold, there was.

So after making a few changes here and there, i was excited to get started. So thank you mybeautifulair for posting up the recipe.

Note to my Vegan readers:
I'm sorry to say, there's eggs involved. Perhaps an egg-replacement can be used instead of the two eggs mentioned.

Edit for my Vegan readers:
After checking numerous vegan recipes, i reckon you can replace the 2 eggs with 3 teaspoons of egg replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons cold water.

And for those who are health-conscious, instead of the oil, you can replace it with 1/2 cup apple sauce.


Nesquik Zucchini Loaf

Dry Ingredients
• 140 g Flour
• 140 g NestlĂ© Nesquik Chocolate Powder
• 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
• 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
• 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp Salt

Wet Ingredients
• 2 Medium Eggs
• 1/2 cup Sunflower Oil
• 50 g Sugar
• 4 ml Vanilla Essence [Dr Oetker Vanilla Flavor]

• 1 Medium Zucchini, shredded

***


***
  • Preheat oven to 175˚C.
  • Coat a bread pan with cooking spray/margarine and sprinkle it with some flour. Shake the pan until the flour evenly coats the inside of the pan.
  • In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients except for sugar and mix thoroughly.
  • In a different bowl, beat eggs with a whisk. At which point it's best to use a hand mixer when you add the sugar and oil. Continue whisking until it's light and foamy.
  • Add your combined wet ingredients to the dry mixture and continue to mix until there are no lumps. It may look like it'll be too dry but do not add anymore liquid since the juice from the zucchini will pull the mixture together.
  • Then add the grated zucchini and stir.
  • Bake at medium heat [175˚C] in a bread pan for about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.


Before • After

So YUMMEHHHH!

Needless to say, J and i managed to finish the whole loaf/over sized brownie the next day. It's zucchini season and a kilo costs 88 cents. I reckon i'll be baking another one very soon.

7 comments:

xSharonx said...

I've never heard of zucchini chocolate cakes before but I think I will try that some time!

winkris said...

Neither had i! But i swear it tastes REALLY good, just like a super moist brownie.

I've had a look at other vegan recipes and you can replace the 2 eggs with 3 teaspoons of egg replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons cold water.

And if you wish, instead of the oil, you can replace it with 1/2 cup apple sauce.

=)

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!!

winkris said...

oh it sooooOooo was!!!

Duke said...

Hey Kris- try this
http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2011/04/homemade-bean-burgers.html

I like meat but these were really good-

khene rae paranga said...

Wow! Yum!! I wish I could eat your BLLOOOGGG!
btw.. why dont you checkout my blog.. yellowsplat.blogspor.com
I hope youll love it! Please Follow =)

winkris said...

Duke : oooOoo those do look good. I've never tried black bean burgers, i may have to try making them one day. Thaaaanks for the recipe!

Paranga : Thanks for the comment... but don't you mean your blog "yellowsplat.blogspoT.com"?

;)