Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bubbles + Work go hand in hand.

J had to work late again last night, so i occupied myself with developing my logo and deciding on the look & feel of my business. It is true when they say, being your own client is probably the hardest thing. Indecisive and uncertain on a concept since after all, the final outcome is what i'm going to be stuck with. Well it's not so FINAL since i could always redo it and start again. But it's taken me a few months to figure it out and i've even let it sit so i can digest it. And after much tweaking, i think i'm quite happy with the results.

J thinks so and he's super picky when it comes to alignments and making sure it looks "just right". He's like my personal slave driver when it comes to me designing something. He has an eye for picking out even the slightest millimetre off! He's quite persistent that way and at times can be irritating especially since after staring at the screen for hours on end, all i want to do is get the job over and done with and move on.

But bless him for being a Perfectionist.

He keeps me on my toes and knows how to calm me down when i start stressing out. Which unfortunately, has happened a few times already. If anyone would start yelling, i would be the guilty party. Yes, i know i need to just calm the fuck down sometimes but seriously, i'm so much better now! Past colleagues would swear i'm a totally different person if only they could see me now.

J makes constructive criticisms and for most of the times, i agree. So as a team, i think we work really well together.

So when J came home late last night, my eyes were already dry from sitting hunched over in front of my laptop willingly allowing the radiation to set into my brain. Tired and convinced that the minute he'd see the work i did, he would say something was wrong with it or would sit there, as he does, and point out exactly what wasn't right.

But he didn't.

In fact, he loved every little bit of it and said how proud he was of me. I could grasp the moment and document it under Sentimental & Mushy and how for the first time in a very long time, i believe i could be a Designer after all. It's taken me a while to get my confidence back and only recently has Creativity bit me on the arse a few times to make me realise. And i can only hope when Inspiration hits, i am smart enough to grab hold of it and make something out of it.

That said, i'm still envious over friends who are doing far more creative things than what i'm doing. Why can't i be arty farty like them!? Why didn't i think of something like that!? I'm so lame. Oh how i wish i could draw like her and so on and so forth.


So back to the reason why i was drinking champagne past midnight. Well J had just finished at an event that he was working at and his colleague so graciously gave him a bottle of champagne. I believe there was a request on J's side and after a few exchanged words the colleague was fine with the idea of giving up a bottle.

What are we celebrating?

We couldn't really think of anything so the fact that we made it to the middle of the week and tomorrow [today] is Thursday was good enough of a reason to pop open the champers. Plus i was quite satisfied with the work i had done so far, why not have a few glasses to rock me to sleep.

Can i just add that it was the nicest tasting champers i've had. I'm no connoisseur but forget Moët for a moment since i actually think they're overrated. And if i had a choice, i totally would recommend the Drappier Carte d'Or Brut. Their website is rather fancy with their ink strokes and flash animation.

No comments: