Saturday, July 04, 2009

The Anti-Baby Pill & Transformers.

I was running desperately low on The Pill and needed to get a prescription mailed to me. But was informed i was due for a check-up and unless i made an appointment, they unfortunately couldn't send it to me. I eventually made the appointment but requested if they could at least send me the prescription before i went to see my OB/GYN. After all, The Pill waits for no one and one needs to be consistent otherwise you may be in for a surprise if you miss more than a few doses.

The receptionist was kind enough to understand my dilemma and sent me a prescription for 3 months.

So on Thursday i made my way to her office in the blistering heat. It's been hovering around the 30's mark if not more. So you can imagine what kind of sweat fest the trams are like. With only heating ducts to support Winter and windows that can't really be opened, passengers are forced to tolerate the heat and digest the body odors of those around.

Let's just say deodorant should be a compulsory for all ages.


My OB/GYN runs a private practice, which basically means patients pay more and the waiting time is close to zero. I'm currently on private insurance so i am therefore allowed to go there. They even give you a drink before you go see the doctor and the bathroom is stocked with all sorts of girly things.

Not only did i choose my doctor because she spoke English but she didn't look scary or ancient.

Usually they only write prescriptions for 6 months but somehow i managed to score another one, so my Anti-Baby Pill as my gynae likes to call it, should last me for another 12 months on top of the remaining 2 and half months i received from the receptionist.

...

So she's examining me and she finds a cyst on my left ovary. And i'm thinking, "oh shit..."

It's about 3 cm wide and it's apparently common for those who are on The Pill to have cysts. They will however, reduce in size as one goes through their menstrual cycle. So apart from that finding, everything appears to be in working order.

She says i have nothing to worry about, so i believe her.


Her office is well equipped with the latest gadgets and is much fancier than any gynae's i've ever visited. That's not to say i've been to too many but with 2 others i can at least make a comparison.

This one is super fancy!


That black blob on the left of the screen is the cyst. It looks more scary than it really is. They had a monitor on the far side of the room broadcasting what was being shown on the sonnagram. Perhaps for those husbands who wish to be nearby and want to be able to be clued in on what's going on without creating too much of a crowd near the patient.

So now i just have to wait for my results of my PAP smear which i should be getting next week along with a probably not-so nice bill. But at least i have a year to hunt around for a new caring, english speaking, *hopefully* female OB/GYN in Gütersloh.

...

After spending a few hours in the city window shopping and buying whatever necessities i needed, J drove through the city to pick me up after work. He then surprised me by saying we were going to the cinema in Oberkassel to watch Transformers. J managed to find one theatre that was showing it in English and he had reserved seats.

Yay!

The last time i stepped foot in a theatre was about a year and a half ago and that was to see Aliens vs. Predator.


But i heard so many great reviews of Transformers, so i was super excited. And having watched the preview for Brüno again makes me look forward to that too.


No movie is complete without a bag of popcorn, so we lined up to get a bag of salted goodness but sadly was pretty much finished with it before the movie really started.

Seriously, i'm like a Popcorn Monster! I love it.

But did you know they serve alcohol in German cinemas. Well they do. It was so weird to be able to order beer and be able to bring it into the theatre without having to sneak it in.

And i'm not sure if it's common in all theatres but half way through the movie they had a "Pause". The 2+ hour long movie would definitely cause a few butt cheeks to grow numb and a couple of bladders to be in need of emptying. So we got a 10 minute break and nobody missed anything.

How cool is that!? Anyway, loved the movie and was so happy that i got to watch it on the big screen and best of all it was in English!


Oh and there's me looking a little bit on the tanned side because i was walking around in the sun most of the day. I should really start wearing sunblock on my face.

And can i say how surreal it was to be in a public place with so many English speaking people around me. There were about 20 people in the whole cinema. Not that many but enough to make a difference. It was strange knowing that the person next to me could actually eavesdrop and understand everything i said. I guess i'm so used to German people not understanding me because of the language issue.

I know, i know. I've been deprived of English speakers, so you can imagine my delight when i heard a variety of accents. Funny how just the little things can make such a difference in ones day.

2 comments:

Ms. Redd said...

i'll have you know that i started on The Pill as a medication to 'treat' my cyst in my ovary, and in less than a year it has shrunk to about 40-55% of its size. so yay for The Pill for its various other purposes. ;)

winkris said...

Well that's comforting to know... Thanks for sharing. I never knew that but i'm glad to know that it has other purposes too.

;)