Monday, July 27, 2009

Is it Wednesday yet?

J left yesterday afternoon for one of many 3-day Management training programmes in a small town called Hochheim am Main, somewhere near Frankfurt and is about 2 hours drive from where we live. It's an intensive training workshop for all those enrolled and compulsory before J begins at his new position in September.

And even though it's only been 24 hours since he left, it feels a bit strange being home alone.

I usually spend my day by myself keeping myself occupied with house chores and catching my favorite shows on TV, in German no doubt. Although i can only understand a fraction of what they're saying, i find myself repeating words out loud just so i can try and get the pronunciation somewhat close to what it's "supposed" to sound like.

It's always comforting to know that when dinner time approaches i will be expecting the doorbell to ring and i will rush to the door to wait for J to walk up the stairs.

But i do remember the time when i lived by myself and couldn't imagine sharing my space with anyone let alone have someone to call my "boyfriend".

Hmmm... oh how Time's have changed.

Isn't it strange how being in a relationship can actually change your way of thinking. Dare i even say my purpose in Life.

I miss him already. In my case, distance certainly makes the heart grow fonder. Plus cooking for one ain't all that fun anymore. Hurry up Wednesday!

Anyway, the last time we spent our nights apart was when he was admitted into hospital last year and if my memory serves me correctly he was admitted for about 2 weeks but even then i was able to see him during the day. It's no wonder my bald patches caused by stress returned months after.

I know J's a safe driver and he wouldn't do anything to put himself at risk but i can't help but worry whenever he has to drive on the motorway. Maybe it's the fact that parts of the German motorway has no speed limit. I'm forever checking his speedometer when i'm sitting in the passenger seat.

But last weekend there was a huge car pile up involving 260 vehicles on the A2 Autobahn. We saw it on the news but more reason to make me a little paranoid and worried. Nobody is sure what/who was the cause of the huge accident. And one can only blame the bad weather and perhaps those impatient and careless drivers.



Thankfully nobody died. Just a few people were seriously injured and a dozen or so suffered minor injuries.

It's moments like those that makes me count my lucky stars that we weren't on that particular Autobahn at that time and had already reached our destination.

...

I forgot to tell you J and i helped out at his colleague's husbands birthday party at the beginning of the month. I basically spent most of the time in the kitchen clearing the plates/glasses whilst J ran up and down the garden making sure everyone had a drink in their hand and encouraged them to drink more. The picture below is of J proudly carrying 30 champagne glasses down to the marquee in the garden minutes before midnight.


... and no he didn't spill any of the glasses!



We were absolutely knackered when we got back but it was well worth it. J's colleague was so impressed by our work that she even gave us more money than that she had originally agreed on. 7 hours of work and 100 Euros each. It was a great experience especially since it was my first time working with J. Not only were we allowed to drink on the job but better still, we got payed for a job well done!

...

Anyway i'll be back soon with photos from our short getaway to the Harz mountains. I know i've been a bit slack with the posts.

Again, i'm sorry.

Honestly, there really wasn't that much going on in my Life. Well nothing worth reading about anyhow. I could stress about how unsuccessful we've been in finding a suitable, decent looking home in our price range. And how we've received several quotes from Movers' company that insist on charging no less than 1,900 Euros for the move that's less than 160km away. I don't think we even have that much stuff.

Absolute madness! Our hunt continues.

No comments: