Tuesday, July 28, 2009

"Inside Good. Outside Bad."

I can't believe the month is nearly coming to an end. The other day i was at the supermarket and noticed they already had the Autumn decorations for sale. And thought, didn't Summer just begin? And while most of Germany is on Summer vacation, the number of swine flu cases continue to rise.

"Since July 20, the number of registered cases of swine flu in Germany has nearly doubled and now stands at 2,844, German health officials said on Friday... Within the past 48 hours alone, nearly 1,000 cases were confirmed. The reason is simple: according to the institute, 80 percent of the cases were imported by vacationers returning from countries like Spain and Great Britain" [source].

Then today's news states, "Germany's infectious disease center, the Robert Koch Institute, said there were 3,810 confirmed cases of swine flu, also called A (H1N1) on Monday. That marks an increase of 461 cases in three days [source].

Damn those holiday makers for spreading their germs and putting everyone at risk!

I'm definitely more cautious.

In fact, J and i make it a point to avoid big crowds now and limit what what we touch when we're in public especially in the Supermarket. Who knows what filthy germs are lying on the handle bars of supermarket trolleys. Even the sound of a sneeze immediately grabs my attention and i find myself walking the other direction. Seriously, my anti-bacterial gel is like my best friend.

Call me Paranoid but i'd rather be Be Safe Than Sorry.

J and i contacted my international health insurance to ask a few questions about my policy and apparently i'm fully covered should i get the H1N1 virus *knocks on wood* and if i develop some kind of disease like Cancer. However, what i'm not covered for are general check-ups. Which means i can't claim for my annual check-up to the Gynaecologist.

Damn it, there goes my 226 Euros!

*Ouch*

So i'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that the State funded program that i've applied for, which enables independant artists to be allowed into the german healthcare system, gets approved soon. The wait is 3 months and they've stated that there's no guarantee that one gets accepted.

I'm still waiting for an answer.

So for the time being i'm keeping a low profile and not putting myself at risk. Especially since we'll be moving soon. And the last thing i need is to be knocked out by some illness and/or cause serious injury to myself.


And that also means no more rollerblading or dangerous activities until my health insurance issue is sorted.

Hmmpf.

No comments: