Thursday, July 09, 2009

Got me some wheels... 8 to be exact.


For the past couple of days the weather has made a down turn. It's been pissing down hardcore with the occasional thunderstorm and lightning to match. The temperature has been somewhere in the mid teens and any patch of blue sky soon gets replaced by a dark cloud. Yesterday J claimed that "Summer is over" and i immediately gave him that look suggesting that he was talking "crazy" and shouldn't be thinking such evil thoughts.

So i quickly knocked on a nearby piece of wood - my solution to abolishing anything that is last said that i don't want to come true.

We spend most of the year in the shadow of moody weather, i dread the day that i officially have to say good-bye to blue skies and sunshine for another 6+ months. Never mind that i spend most my day indoors and at home. It's the very fact that the day is nice gives me that option to want to go outside and having big windows helps.

Which brings me to my level of fitness.
.
.
.
It's not very good.

And apart from the random stroll through the city to get a present for a birthday or special occasion, which happens to be every other month or even quarterly. I'm not so into exercise or Sport. And if we do end up clubbing, i may dance anywhere between a few seconds to a couple of hours. And that's not even guaranteed. It depends on my mood and of course the music.

So for the past months J's been suggesting that we should get into "Sport". One that we could do together and one that forces me to go outside. I'm like a hermit, i could spend days on end cooped up at home not too worried that the days are passing me by.

Originally we wanted to buy bicycles. It would keep us fit and we could ride to various locations that the car couldn't go. Often we find ourselves at a lake or by the Rhine river, so it made sense. But seeing that we're moving soon meant we would need to transport them and that would just increase the cost of the move. Bikes are not cheap and are at least 300 Euros.

So yesterday we were in the city centre because J wanted to buy a new computer game and we popped by Karstadt Sport. Lucky for us they were having a sale. J insisted that i should look at inline skates, basically if he left it to me, i would probably be still at home and wouldn't consider them at all.

I've never owned a pair but i do know how to ice skate, so i'm happy to say i didn't fall straight on my face.

My sister had a pair of roller skates which i ended up getting as the "little" sister often get hand me downs. But that was over a decade ago. I don't think we even have them anymore as i think our parents gave them away in between one our moves.


I ended up getting a pair of K2 inline skates. They had knocked off 80 Euros off the original price and we figured it was a really good deal. It was also the last pair and since the season is ending they weren't bringing anymore pairs in. So any future pairs would be the newer designs and the original prices.

I also found out a portion of the sales goes towards finding a cure for breast cancer - as seen by the pink ribbon stitched on the side, so that's good!

But they had cheaper skates and i was hoping that they would be comfortable and easier on my wallet, but boy was i wrong. Within seconds my calf was hurting - i think they were built for taller people with slimmer calves. And instead of my ankle feeling protected it felt like it was being strangled. So i knew the answer.

I would be stupid to buy a cheaper pair hoping it would get comfortable over time and risk never wanting me to putting them back on due to blisters etc. If i think back all the times i've tried to save on money on shoes because they were cheap but ended up not wearing them because they "hurt".

Now was not a time to be too stingy especially if i was concerned with comfort. "The K2 Softboot construction is the most comfortable, stable, and well-designed inline skate construction ever produced. This patented technology features the most breathable uppers, supportive cuffs, and best fit known to any inline skate." [source]


I debated for awhile whether it was worth it but J insisted that it was a good investment. After all it would take us out of the apartment on the weekends and force us me to venture out of our my comfort zone. And who knows, maybe even force me to socialize.

But i'm super happy with them. And who knows, maybe one day i will get my buns of steal!

I'm hoping it's not going to rain later because once J gets home, he's going to find his skates and we're going to "practice" near the car park before we venture out in public over the weekend. I'm really excited! And no i'm not being sarcastic, i am, actually excited.

2 comments:

Armand said...

Hey Chrissy, Armand here. I dunno if you heard already but Yasmin Ahmad passed away Saturday morning. Just tot I'd let you know...

winkris said...

Heya Armand, yes i heard... i read it on my fb news feed. What a tragic loss and such a shock for everyone. Deepest condolences to her family and Yew Leong. I am honored to have crossed paths with her. She will always be remembered.

Thanks for letting me know anyway. Hope you are well.