Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Adapting to a New Life.

The first night in the apartment was freezing. The heating in the whole household is run by oil and can be set at a certain time to start. But it was set so at night it would stop heating - i guess Summer did just end. Which would mean by the time night fell, the heaters wouldn't function. Not fun when it's -2 degrees outside and the tiles inside the apartment are freezing. And that is why i love our bathroom for it has heated flooring. But we spoke to our the owner and he sorted out the heating situation. So it's all good, i'm not going to freeze to death.

Plus he was kind enough to let us use his wireless internet since it seems it's going to take awhile for Telekom to sort their shit out and get our internet and phone line working.

So yay for me. I have contact with the outside world!


I wanted to see how long it would take me to walk to the city centre. There's a bus but it comes every 2 hours which is a bit inconvenient but it's better than nothing. It only takes 5 minutes to get the centre by bus/car and by foot it's about 30 minutes - which explains why so many people own bicycles. They even have a designated red coloured path for bikes along the pavement. I'm not about to start driving anytime soon, so my only other option is to get a bicycle - definitely more cost effective in the long run.

Seriously.


It's a straight path that travels alongside a field of some sort and a small horse riding school/paddock. Then i think comes an elementary school and an old barn that's been converted into a gardening centre.

It was a rather peaceful walk through the residential area. And as i dragged my feet through the amber coloured leaves that lined the pavement, i realised it hasn't quite hit me that this is my new home.

What just happened to the past 2 months?

I can't believe the Move is over. Now that was hardcore! I foresee several bald patches appearing in the upcoming months no thanks to that super stressful chapter. The past 2 months definitely tested our sanity and the strength of our relationship. I'm just relieved to have all my stuff again and now i can just focus on unpacking. Plus it won't be long till i have to enroll for German classes and that's a whole different kind of stress.

So anyway, yesterday brought beautiful weather, even though there was a blue sky and full sunshine it was still rather nippy at 12 degrees Celcius. I'm guessing since we're more out in the open and no longer living in a densely compacted area, the air is much cooler and the buildings aren't used to shield the wind. In fact, we i don't think we have any tall buildings. Except for the City Hall [the previous post with the rainbow], i'd say most buildings are no higher than 4 stories. And comparing the temperatures to that of Duesseldorf, it's about 3 degress colder here.

Ewww. I'll be colder and pastier than i am right now.


So on Friday we decided to check the Irish pub. And i have to say we were well impressed. J had a cheese burger and i attacked his fries. We washed it down with some Guinness and Kilkenny. It was strange to hear the barman speak English, a true Irish man i'm thinking. Everyone seemed quite friendly. Even when customers came in, they actually acknowledged everyone and there seemed to be a positive vibe to the place.


Definitely a place we'd return to and have a couple of beers at.

I'm also convinced Guinness tastes so much better in cooler climates. I never really got into drinking Guinness back in Malaysia, maybe it has to do with the humidity levels. And that the higher the temperature, the quality gets slightly altered.

I dunno.

All i know is a pint costs 4 Euros and when it comes to beer in Germany, i'm definitely spoilt for choice. Oh and not forgetting the bread. I love it!

Seriously. I need to get my arse on a bike soon.

2 comments:

belinda said...

Seriously, if it wasn't so hilly and so damned dangerous to ride a bike in Wiesbaden, I would. The people here drive like they're INSANE =/

OMG get a pink bike helmeeeeet lol

winkris said...

Two words for youuuu... WATER. BREAAAK!

=p