Sunday, March 13, 2011

Show Me The Money!


Several weeks ago i decided to rearrange my desk. I had read that it was bad Feng Shui to have my back towards the door. And looking at the position of my desk, i noticed everything that they had said not to do, was exactly what i had done.

Oops.

"In Feng Shui, the bagua incorporates the nine areas of life, with the center being the health area. The upper left corner of the desk is the wealth area, the upper right corner of the deck is partnership, the lower right corner of the desk is helpful people and so on." [source] And therefore, by placing a plant in my upper left corner of my desk it may improve my financial situation.

Now seriously, who could say no to that?

So i went to the gardening centre and looked around for a plant that i thought would be happy to come home with me.

And whether it was a major coincidence but a few days after tidying my desk and moving it, i received an email from a potential new client saying he will get back to me with regards to a huge new project he wants me to work on. And a week or so after that, another client that owed me money finally paid up.

Hmmm... needless to say, i'm keeping my desk tidy and that plant ain't going nowhere.

***

So anyway, J left yesterday around about lunch time to spend a few days with his mother and sort through the parents' house. Living further south on the map means the drive would take about 4 hours. But J managed to get a few days off from work next week so he could organise the funeral, speak to the authorities and along with his two brothers help their mother deal with the current situation.

I, on the other hand, spent a huge chunk of yesterday sorting through and rewriting my quotations and invoices i had written for past and current design jobs. The reason being was, apparently, there was some confusion with the sequence of the invoice numbers.

As a designer previously working in a design studio and an advertising company, there was no need to be involved in the billings and/or for me to chase clients for payment. All that dirty work was done by an Account Executive.

Thinking about it now, i definitely took my A.E's for granted. Kudos to all my previous A.E's!

So before J got in the car and left yesterday, he was sweet enough to help me figure out a better bookkeeping system. Knowing how stressed i was about it all, he sat down patiently and explained it to me despite saying he wanted to leave earlier.

Seriously, when it comes to excel documents, i'm a little retarded.

J created an excel sheet in which i could easily key in all the important information such as my billings and basically track how much money i'm still being owed.

Yup, having my own business also means doing my own bookkeeping, which i have learned can be quite complex and super irritating.


But thanks to some sticky notes and a better bookkeeping system courtesy of J, i'm hoping it'll get easier over time.


Six hours, numerous wasted A4 sheets and a depleting black ink cartridge later, i finally completed sorting out my jobs for 2011 so far.


Eventually, i finished and figured it was time to eat. Dinner was spaghetti with some light cream, oregano, vegetable broth powder, garlic, onions, chives and smoked tofu. Easy to prepare, delicious and filling.


As for the rest of my day, it doesn't look like i'll be doing too much. I may consider taking a shower since that is on my To Do List.

I can't believe it's the weekend before my thirty-first birthday and where am i? Home alone with the kitties.

Oh well, the weather is looking kind of grey at 13˚C, so there's no point heading outside. Plus it's Sunday and none of the shops are open, which in a way is good since that would only mean i'd be lured in to spend more money.

I'm on a mission to save money and cut down on my snacking this month. I'm starting to rock a muffin top and i'm feeling self-conscious.

And so i'm off to watch reruns of another reality show that i'm slightly obsessed with called, Dr. 90210. A show focused on plastic surgery in Beverly Hills. And only because i was curious, i found out breast augmentation prices in Germany are way over my head.

If only, i had that much disposable income to begin with.

No comments: