Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Version 3.1 - Making The Most Of It.

Before i get into a long-winded story about how i tried to make the most of my birthday being alone, i have to share with you something that happened to me last night.

So last night when i posted my last blog entry i found myself browsing Etsy and choosing my favorites... again. I swear, Etsy browsing is total time suckage and is starting to get seriously addictive.

Then half way through, something possessed me to check my favorite list and that's when i noticed one of the items i had clicked "favorite" to was no longer for sale.

A part of me felt a little bitter at whoever it was that bought my favorite. Never mind that there were multiple others who thought the same when i decided to favorite the item they had chosen as their favorite.

Then the most unexpected and random thing happened...

I got an email from one of the sellers from Etsy explaining that one my sweet readers [Lian Sim - i know you're reading this] had bought me one of the items she was selling and wanted to send it to me as a gift. Yup, the very item that had SOLD printed below it just minutes before. But seeing that she didn't have my address, she asked the seller to contact me.

And let me tell you in my six years of regurgitating my thoughts online, never did i expect such generosity especially from someone i don't know in person or have even met.

I won't tell you what she bought me, so you will just have to wait until the package arrives. I just received an email from the seller saying the item has been sent and it will arrive in 6-10 working days.

How crazy is that!?

[I so hope that that angry DHL delivery man changed his delivery route and is on leave for the next few weeks].

***

So anyway moving on...

I've been up since 7:30 AM because my sister called to sing me the birthday song, followed by my dad and then my mom. J even called me several times during the day and each time sang the whole birthday song which brought a smile to my face every time.

But today i figured instead of moping around at home smelling of my own funk, i figured i would shower, change and venture out into the city.

So after replying to all my facebook birthday wall wishes and Twitter messages, i was ready to conquer my day.


I couldn't believe how warm it was today when i checked the thermometer on the balcony. It honestly feels like ages since we've had double-digits above freezing point. For awhile there, i almost forgot what it was like to sweat.

But i was soon reminded of that icky feeling when i sat in the overcrowded train carriage beside a bunch of prepubescent girls spreading their germs as they coughed all over the place.

It was gross.

Parents need to seriously teach their kids to cover their germ infested mouths in public when they cough. How hard is it to cough into the fold of your elbow?

Seriously.

***

So anyway, after buying my compulsory German course book, i decided to search the shelves for a book that basically explained the rules and vocabulary in English. I found some cash earlier and took it upon myself to use it to help fund my Ich spreche Deutsch [: I speak German] foundation.

My issue, if you really want to know, is i'm finding that all my material and books i've got so far are in German. So not only will finding a book that basically explains the vocabulary in a language i comprehend will not only make my life easier but i may even learn more.

I'm hoping.


Feeling pleased with myself, i decided to treat myself by making it a point to find that cupcakes store i had found randomly online. But after walking in circles because i took the wrong turn, i ended up where i started half an hour before.

Yes Christina, if you turn right enough times in a row, you will end up where you started.

D'oh!


One of the many side streets that all seemed to look the same after a while.

Here's a bit of history for you...


Further down the main road, standing proudly beside the tram tracks, is the Hahnentor on Rudolfplatz. It is said that it is one of the original twelve gate castles built around 1180-1220 and was part of an eight-kilometre-long medieval town wall [source]. It is one of only three that remain standing.


I was determined to find the cupcake place and when i eventually found it, i couldn't have been happier. As i sipped on my lactose-free milk coffee and savoured my King of Pop, i received my first birthday sms from Ms. Redd... thanks again!

***

So when i eventually decided to head home because my feet were aching, i forgot which escalator i was supposed to take when i reached my station. There's a shorter route that takes me directly home and then there's one that exits on the side of the supermarket - which is where i wanted to get my birthday slice.

So i left it to fate and it turned out...


I was meant to eat more cake after all.

It was a slice of a chocolate roll which was filled with a chocolate mousse. Full of fat but after all the walking i did today, i sure deserved it.

But before it strikes midnight [Germany time] and it's no longer the 15th of March, i'm going to say, i had a happy thirty-first birthday.

And to all my readers; friends and silent followers, thank you. It amazes me to know that there are people out there that care.


And here's one last photo of little Miss Luna wanting to cuddle and get in on some of Lisa Kahlen's Essential German Vocabulary.

Gute Nacht!

10 comments:

xSharonx said...

I'm happy to hear that you had a nice day :) And I'm anxious to know what you got from Etsy (I love browsing it too!)

winkris said...

=)

ooOoo what's your name on Etsy?

xSharonx said...

I haven't created an account yet cause I very occasionally buy from there. But since I'm having my lunch break right now (and nothing special to do), I will create one just now ^^

xSharonx said...

Haha, I'm so stupid... of course I do already have an account ;) My name is xsalwayswin

winkris said...

Found ya!

Anonymous said...

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag aus Malaysia! :D

iamcrazynia said...

happy happy belated birthday!! isn't it great that the few days i'm too busy to blog read.. i miss a birthday? -_- it's good to know although u had a quiet you it look like it was a good day. :)

winkris said...

Anon : Danke sehr! =)

iamcrazynia : Cheers for the belated wish. Well it sure beat being a coach potato for the day again. ;)

Anonymous said...

Another belated birthday wish from one of your annonymous readers.:) You seem happier now that you've moved. Even your pictures look happier.

winkris said...

Anon silent reader : Thanks for the belated wish =)

I guess you're right. I definitely think ones' environment and good weather has a huge influence on ones' mental health.