Friday, December 14, 2007

The Kitty Foster Family

:: Well hello there, Fancy seeing you here ::

The other day i found Satan's spawn perched by the hotel sofa. At first i thought he was watching Discovery [you've seen those World's Funniest Home Videos] but he wasn't. He was mesmorized by his reflection on the back of the book shelf! Vain as he is... i'm guessing he hadn't seen a 4 legged creature for awhile. I'm sure he doesn't even think he's a cat. And if it weren't for the bell around his neck that would jingle each time he would attempt to some extreme yoga pose, i'm sure i'd trip up on him more than i did.

I guess from the time he was the size of my shoe, he always found comfort as being my shadow. Wherever i was in my apartment it was necessary that he be witness. Never mind that i had to distort my body so he had enough space. Or welcome the idea of a peeping tom[cat] peering through the shower curtains. Yes i know i bitched and moaned about the times he attacked me with his rice grain teeth but all in all, he will always be my little silent stalker that i love very much.

So when my dad mentioned to me that when i'd make the move to the little concrete island, my first thoughts were, what about Satan's spawn? Initially, i was going to put him into quarantine [apparently it's a one month sentence] and i'd take him to my parent's flat. But my mom's fear is the whole drama of the move and suddenly having to be put into a 4-wall cell may cause him to go even more nuts. There were so many factors that needed to be taken into consideration.

So then it went to Plan B. Get a foster family to care for him until Chrissie gets her shit sorted and gets a job, so then she can find her own pad and then make the move less stressful for the kitty.

Originally, i was supposed to hand him over on the Sunday i arrived. But my dad figured the drive down was enough to stress him out, why not i hang on to him for one more night. I observed his ways and seemed to adjust fine. Even finding his way to his litter box without a problem. Nobody likes stained carpets. Then it ended up being 2 nights.

By the 11th i had to give him up.

I went along to the Purchasing Officer Lady's house [the new foster family]. She has two cats, one black tomcat aged 2 years and a white pregnant 1 year old female. We drove up to their small house and i noticed there was no netting to prevent the cats from making an escape.

Uh oh.

As i walked in with my "city" cat and his basket of treats, i was greeted by her family who were eager to meet the boss' daughter's cat. The tomcat draped his lazy self by the cupboard opening one lazy eye and the female stubby tailed kitten flounced her way past to make herself noticed.

AND THEN that's when Satan's spawn's true colours came out. He hissed, growled and made a huge fuss. No amount of reassuring or petting could have eased him. He was so confused, I'm sure all he was thinking was, who were these strange people and why are they touching me?

I found out later he only left his carrier the day after to eat and then soon after found refuge in his small space. Crapping all over the place to mark whatever little territory he has but apparently that is "normal" for cats. And only now he's beginning to trust The Husband. Only HE is allowed to put the food out and then only then will Satan's spawn follow.

As for the relationship between the other cats and Satan's spawn, all i know is that they're scared shitless of him.

:: Up close and way too personal ::

I tried to take a nice photo of him and i lying on the floor, you know those tear jerking owner and pet shots BUT i guess resting his arse on my head was his way of showing his LOVE.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL that last pic - I was like, ooohh he's wearing her like a diaper

I'm sorry you have to be separated from him though - but you'll get a place and a job before you know it and be reunited! :) At least he has company now and can learn to ummm...scare other cats lol <3 love you

winkris said...

For me to be a so-called diaper would require me to be far TOO close for my own liking. Ewwwww...

It's more like a turban gone wrong =p

Anonymous said...

thanks for telling us about kittykat. i'm sure he'll be fine...

poor egg-eater was tearing her hair out over the 'keys' but i think it's looking ok now. she actually said to him, 'if u want me to use the keys then it's going to look like what chris did, (ie so he may as well use yours...) haha!