Friday, October 31, 2008

Peddling forward

J's teaching Little L how to ride her first bicycle. Over the weekend we went to the store to purchase her first bike. And we stood by the helmuts while she pointed to the one she liked best. She was quick to choose a white safety helmut with the spotted Dalmatians puppies on it. And she couldn't wait to put it on and wear it around proudly.


So as J prepared her for many fun filled days ahead, i trailed behind hoping that neither one of them fell. By her 3rd day she was able to peddle solo and i watched J attentively chasing after her. It was a memorable moment and i could see that J was very proud.


Little L asked me whether i could ride a bicycle and since I can't remember the last time i sat my arse on a bike, so i said i couldn't. She gave me a puzzled look as i'm sure she assumed every adult knew how to. I didn't think much of it until J asked whether she wanted me to run alongside her when she rode her bike while J took a break. But she gave me "that" look again and declined.

Great. I should have said i HAVE learned but have forgotten. At least that sounds better than not knowing at all.

Damn it, now i have to ride a bicycle to prove to her that i can. I'm sure it can't be THAT hard to get back into the swing of things. Right? I can't remember the exact age i got my trainer wheels off but i do remember sunny Sundays racing through the park with my dad and sister.

Those were some fun times.


And before the sun set we went to feed the ducks nearby. We threw our left over bread over the side of the bridge and watched them fight over the pieces. One was daring enough to try and flap it's way up to us and that was the time that i let out a girly scream. Little L found that amusing and later spent the next few minutes making "QUACK" sounds, as if she were one of them.


We later sat down for our first dinner nibbling on sandwiches and she asked whether she could sing a song. She sat up and sang her morning song in English. It was very cute and it went something like this, "Good Morning, Good Morning, How Do You Do?" I'm not sure whether she totally understands what she's saying but it was still very cute considering she doesn't speak any other language other than German.

We later drove her home and we said our good-bye's. But just before she unbuckled her seat belt to hop out of the car she held out her hand and offered me the plastic bag with her last piece of candy. I thought that was very sweet and the very act made me want to cry with happiness.

I was so nervous that she wouldn't like me but it seems like she has no issues. I let out a big sigh of relief and we drove home smiling.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't push it. Just leave it. Smile lots and let her come to you when she's ready. You've done so well though honey!!! Kind of surreal to read you blog about your day doing kiddie things though!!! xx

Anonymous said...

keep it up babe...happy for u too...

Anonymous said...

SEE?! well done you, very proud of you... the last sweet was DEF a tacit seal of approval.

mlp

LeeWah said...

I thought once you learn to ride a bike, you don't forget. I don't think anyone ever really tried out the theory though.

winkris said...

Farrah: lol... i know rite, i was thinking the same thing!

eddy: thanks =) Well it's only just the beginning.

mlp: Yea, i think i was more nervous than her but i think she's warmed up to me. So i'm very thankful everything went well. Can't help but feel the stress... but it went well.

dave: ahahah... maybe i should get the bike out of the cellar and take it for a ride around the block. Then if anyone asks why my bike is so small, i can always randomly call out a name as if the child that owns the bike had accidently left it and i was just being a good citizen and finding its owner.

Or not. =p