Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Simple, my arse!

I checked out Rossmann [a store that stocks toiletries and various items, much like a Watson's or Guardian but minus the Pharmacy] so i could develop some photos with the instore Foto Service. Gone are the days that i'd bring my rolls of 36 and wait a few hours for the store assistant to get around to printing my dozenth shot of the same thing or camwhore shots of my friends and i.

J said the machine was simple. Don't worry, he said. It's not difficult just follow the instructions.


So i did. I mean i've seen Nanas do it. It can't be so hard. I mean even the woman in the picture seems to understand the concept. Touch and tap away.

There was no instruction manual on the station and i assumed it was like the other machines where one could just SIMPLY touch and print. But noOOoo! Apparently one has to purchase a card that one enters their data and then ONLY then will the machine work before putting your thumb drive.

But this information was NOT there and some woman had left her card in the machine [which i didn't know until later]. I thought the card in the machine was the store's card and then at the end of the day the card is given to the printing shop and the orders go through.

It was an honest mistake.

And so i went ahead and ordered my photos using the card. I stood in front of the machine for a few seconds too long only to realise my photos were NOT coming out of any slot or gap. Yes i felt like an arse. I was definitely having a dumb blond moment [no offense to those who are blond].

Shit. Where are my photos? And why are the receipt numbers the same? I made 2 orders.

I went to the back to look at the rack of photos and noticed that everyone had their own individual number.

Oh fuck.

And like Eureka, it dawned on me what happened. I had printed using some person's card. Damn it! They should clearly write that shit on the machine for first time users!

SO i busted out with my broken elementary German and tried to explain to the store assistant what had happened and that i didn't know i needed a card. And within seconds she was quick to tell me what i did wrong. There's nothing like being told off in a language one doesn't fully understand.

Eyes turned to me and i could feel the temperature rise under my puffy coat.

I apologised and hoped that the owner of the card wouldn't have to pay for my prints. Thank gawd there were no embarressing shots or ones that were for HIS/HER EYES only. The store assistant was quick to call the centre, i'm assuming to tell them that some dumb arse Asian girl had ordered prints on a card that wasn't hers and to cancel them.

How was i supposed to know? Damn this technology. And where was the damn instructions? They should have a warning or at least some kind of sign!

I grabbed one of the price booklets and low and behold on page 11 in 12 point and in an orange box, it states that for those using the Station for the first time, to first ask for assistance from one of the employees and then one can purchase one's personal chip card.

Einfach = Simple, is the chapters' heading.

[Yes, if one knows that one needs their own bloody card to begin with. And if people would not be so forgetful and leave their card in the machine!]

I felt like one of those disobedient children that knocks over the Christmas displays and Security surrounds them like a criminal just to emphasize the seriousness of the incident. The woman made it out as if i had broken the Law. THOU SHALL NOT USE OTHER STRANGERS' PHOTO CARDS TO PRINT WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE.

And because my vocabulary extends only so far, a percentage was only absorbed and the rest was heard by other curious customers. Embarrassed? Slightly.

And then after the whole incident. I don't know what i did but after ordering MY prints on MY card, it froze.

Oh gawd, i broke it!

I was quick to leave the scene. I didn't want to be told off again so i tried to blend into the aisles. Let's just hope my prints come out on Friday. Otherwise i will have to stalk the store and hunt down Frau Araminar.

No comments: