Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Price I Pay for Vanity.

My last trim was sometime in the middle of last year and that was done by some hair dresser J and i stumbled upon on one of our getaways. I would say i'm quite particular about who gets to whip out their scissors and have a go at chopping my ends. One would think it's relatively straight forward to cut long hair but i didn't want to take a chance. So i made it early to my appointment on Friday.

After a wash, you can see the ends aren't looking too healthy and my hair colour is a dull blackish brown...


Here i am getting ready for the Boss to trim my ends. In order for him to cut it precise it's easier if i stand up. So there i stood as still as a statue as he cut each section with absolute concentration.

It's apparently a sin to try and cut ones' own fringe or as the Germans would say "Pony". Yes, i am guilty of cutting it myself because i am a cheapskate. But i am still convinced with enough practice and determination one can get a decent result.


The side swept fringe is the most common in hairstyles but the Boss recommended that my fringe be cut straight across with the sides tapered in [as i had previously had it]. Reason being that if he would remove the hair that would frame my face, it would visually broaden it - something i obviously didn't want. According to him, the contrast between my overall length and my fringe is rare here and such a style would definitely suit me.

And when he was done, it was like magic, it instantly made my face thinner.


Although it didn't really help that they had really yummy biscuits and candy accompanying their endless supply of complimentary coffee.


Here is the Boss and his Apprentice trying to find a suitable base colour that would blend well with my natural hair colour.


The Apprentice and one of the stylists testing out the colours on samples of my cut hair. Their uncertainty was based on the fact that when i was in Malaysia i would frequently colour my hair and apparently products in Asia and in Europe have different chemical ingredients. Something to do with one region having a metallic base. And when combined, the results can be disastrous.

So knowing that, i had no issues with waiting for half an hour for the results.


After applying a dark brown colour base, i waited again for the Boss to finish doing some other customers' hair. It took about an hour for the highlights to be put in.


Here i am trying to read and not looking excited about Life. Lucky for me the Apprentice could speak fluent English, so it made the Time pass relatively fast and it wasn't so boring. Then the other senior stylist took over to apply the chocolate brown colour to the rest of my hair and that took another half an hour so.

And then after washing, drying and all that jazz...


Finally the finished look; a chocolaty brown base and reddish/pink highlights throughout except for the fringe.

It's a lot more in-yo-face than i had anticipated and the added attention has made me slightly more self-conscious. But overall, i'm quite happy with the results even though the whole process took six bloody hours.

...

And going by my Timezone, i have about 3 hours and 50 minutes left until i reach my ripe ol' age of 30 and i can finally open my birthday presents!

3 comments:

Duke said...

Nice!

Happy birthday Chrissy!

winkris said...

Thanks Buddy! =)

ditsylalynna said...

wow Winkris! ur hair so long edi! time flies and hair grows. so INDEED!