Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Uninvited double chins and Counting.

Ever since Winter rolled in our excuses for not wanting to go outside have been repeated more than too often. "It's cold", "I'm tired", "I have a deadline", "But it's snowing!" so on and so forth. And with each excuse comes an extra portion and in J's case, another handful of chocolate.

I'm not saying we're fat. We're just not that fit... anymore.

Neither one of us are very "sporty". Although J insists that in his younger years he was a lot more fit and craved the adrenalin. I, on the other hand, was forced to exercise or partake in sport because of school. Exercise was not my "thang," although i did attempt to join a gym and let's just say, that was a waste of money. I've tried out Kundilini Yoga and that was interesting, although back then i went with my colleagues and we were each others motivation.

But ever since J and i moved in together our waist lines have gained a few centimeters. And the dreadful double chins have been showing up uninvited.

My lack of exercise balanced with my obsession for carbs has caused my arse to gain an inch or two. Although J doesn't mind, my clothes beg to differ. And there's no way my clothes could have shrank that much in the wash.

Maybe it's a sign that i need to go shopping. I'm still wearing the same clothes that i bought nearly a decade ago.

Maybe it's Age catching up. Or maybe i can blame the "no-smoking" for my added attention towards junk food.

Yes i know, it's much easier to blame something else for something that i know am responsible for. I know i'm not that old. I probably just lack discipline.

But it's those fine little details that say as a 25 year old i wouldn't have noticed. Pressing forward 5 years and i'm seeing those faint lines embed themselves deeper. Scars aren't fading as fast. Skin is drying out and hair has lost it's sheen and turning a silvery white. I guess that's why wearing make-up is so wonderful, it covers blemishes yet it can also enhance areas all at the same time.

So let's see, in January we tried out Qi Gong.

Everything was going well but with J having to work a lot more now, his "free time" has been cut short. The place where we would do Qi Gong is about 25 minutes away by car and that adds up to close to an hour less sleep that he could have got and petrol wasted.

So a few weeks back, J called around looking for a yoga class which both of us could join.

And last night was our first trial class. It turned out that 2 people dropped out, so we were able to check it out. Recommended by another yoga teacher, J tried to convince me that it was a good idea.

"We need to do sports. We need to get fit," he would say.

I would follow with my excuses but eventually caved in and said, "Fine."

Turned out that J was the only male and that we were the youngest there. The average age i reckon would be at least in the late 40's or early 50's. Watching those aunties stretch and hold their poses, was quite impressive. But 75 Euros for 10 classes, sounds a bit steep for my liking.

We'll see.

Maybe when the weather warms up and for the snow pisses off, i'll buy J a bicycle and we can both ride around on the weekend. That's exercise!

But before all of that can happen, i'm hoping my client pays me before Friday!

*Prays extra hard to the Money Gods that the payment gets transferred by Thursday*

Because on Friday i have an appointment to get a new hairdo. Apparently the owner is the best hairdresser/stylist in this town. J's gone to 3 other hairdressers and they've all managed to fuck up his hair. Once i even had to bust out the scissors at home to make it even. So knowing that, i'm hesitant to get my hair trimmed.

Anyway, it's nearly impossible to get an appointment with this guy but i made mine 3 weeks ago and the only available slot is this Friday.

Yes, i'm going to spoil myself. Just in time for my birthday. 6 more days and counting!

And if i cancel, chances are i'll have to wait another few weeks for an open slot! I'm in desperate need for a trim since it's been over 6 months since my last hair cut and the ends are already past my waist. I'm thinking a new hair colour would add some spice to my coconut-sized skull of mine.

What say you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister. Amen.

I went to the hairdressers last month and wanted the bangs cut like Zooey Deschanel and being the 'straight'-forward gay men that hairdressers usually are, he told me to stop trying to look like a teenager when I can look like a woman. I cringed but the end results were gentle layered waves with a very flattering side fringe. I look my age, finally. Maybe you should go for that?

Ms. Redd said...

wow! ur hair is making friends with ur ass already! that's something that i can never see myself doing...eek!

good luck on the exercise! i have the exact same problem...haha. unfit-ness. i reckon running and/or swimming is the best ad simplest work out ever. plus it is free. i'll let u know when i actually start...either. :P