Friday, November 19, 2010

Isn't it still Autumn?


After a quick peek at my Dashboard's Weather Widget, it dawned on me that this weekend could possibly be the last weekend in forever that i'll see the sun. Exaggeration put aside, i live in a country that spends most of the year on the cooler end of the thermometer. And this fact was reinforced when i saw that next Tuesday and Wednesday will bring in snow.

Yup, those itty bitty graphic snowflakes may actually be telling the truth.

I checked another weather website and they even predict the whole of Thursday to be snowing.

Holy bat balls!

It's been really cold the last few days. And there's a freezing draft somewhere in the apartment causing my pinkie finger to lose feeling. Signs of an early winter? Or maybe, just bad circulation.

Perhaps i should consider doing my Christmas shopping online this year.

Does anybody have any sites they would like to recommend?

Last years first snow fall was on December 19th. I remember this because it was my last day of German class before the holidays and it snowed really heavily before i had to catch a train to Mainz. A last minute postponed family reunion meant we couldn't cancel our service apartment in such short notice.

I remember watching numerous cyclists skid across the snow packed grounds. Many lost control because of the slippery grounds. Sudden gusts of wind would throw powder snow in their eyes causing them temporary blindness, not exactly the best situation to be in.

It also was the coldest winter Germany had seen in over thirty years. I'm really hoping this year will be mild.

Have you ever tried walking in a snow storm?

It sucks. The snow stings your eye balls and the icy wind eats away at your skin. I'm not joking.

Back then i didn't ride my bike, the bus was my friend.

This year, i'm not sure how brave i am to ride in the snow. I'm not sure whether i should be excited that it's even threatening to snow this early in the year. All i know is where i'll not be going mid next week and that would be outside!

What perfect weather to organise my papers and sort out what to pack, i say.

No comments: