Thursday, November 11, 2010

Roughly Eight Weeks & Counting...

Today was a rare but super productive day. Not only did i get up early and take my bike out for a spin but i managed to get all my errands done. I even got all my work up to date and e-mailed some design options to my client. I'm so proud of myself!

And after staring at my calendar, i just realised that J and i plan to move in 8 weeks. Christmas being in about six weeks, in case you were wondering.

Yup! Eight.

We're leaving in eight weeks!

And knowing that we haven't found an apartment yet has started to get me all anxious.

I've already bookmarked several potential places online and i even have one in particular that i'm leaning towards. Although i'm still not 100% over-the-moon about it. I base it partially on gut feeling. The minute you walk into an apartment, you can almost sense if the place is right.

Which is why pictures can be so deceiving. I need to see a place with my own two eyes.

And that's another problem when you rent, you can never really be certain how well the previous tenant took care of the place. Pictures can be cropped and lighting can be manipulated.

But we're still waiting for some guy to call J to confirm when we can view another apartment.

So until J comes back from Salzbergen, we won't be able to make any concrete appointments. But i'm hoping we can arrange a few apartment viewings next week.

Do you know what the top five most stressful things in life are? In no particular order;

Work
Debt
Loneliness
Moving House
Relationship Problems

[source]

Well that's comforting. So not only have i moved from one Stress [relationship problems] but i'm now entering a new one [Moving]. Great.

Just giving you a heads up, if by next year i complain of bald patches, you know what/who to blame.

Although i should be grateful that we're only renting and not buying. Buying a house seems like such a huge commitment, one that doesn't seem to fit in my lifestyle. I mean, i can't even stay in one city more than a few years before i have the urge to want to move to a different postal code.

Last year when we moved from Duesseldorf to Guetersloh, we honestly thought we would stay here for at least a few years. We officially moved here in October 2009.

I guess one just has to be open to Change.

Cologne will be my fifth German city i've lived in, all in a short span of three years.

You would think with all the moving that i've done in my whole life, i'd be a little more prepared in the packing department though. I'll tell you now, it never does get any easier. As the years accumulate, so do the belongings. And so i'm referring to a Moving Check list to keep me on track.

The last time we moved, i THOUGHT i had everything sorted and even told J i was nearly done packing. Yea right! Turned out that those little bits and bobs that i left lying around was a lot more than i had imagined. And let's just say J wasn't very impressed with my packing skills. So when it came to the actual moving day, there was still heaps to be done.

Sowwy.

But our plan this time is to hire professional movers.

It's probably gonna cost us a bit but if it saves us just a fraction of the stress and the muscle aches, i'm willing to fork over the money.

We still need to pack the boxes [unfortunately], it's just their job to actually carry them up and down the stairs.

Damn those stairs! Another reason why we're looking for an apartment on the first floor. I mean seriously, if i can't even pack light on an overnight stay, imagine my difficulties trying to eliminate crap from being boxed.

I'm staying optimistic.

And to prevent myself from freaking out and reaching for the panic button, i'm going to start with sorting out this massive pile of papers that have found themselves on my desk.

I mean, really, do i need to keep all those messed up reprints, used up telephone cards and expired notes to myself?

Uh no. Time to chuck 'em away then!

2 comments:

Ms. Redd said...

oh yes, professional movers are the best option! in fact, they should be the only option haha. as much as they may cost, packing is always such a bitch...

hope you guys find a decent place to house the 4 of you :) and withing cycling distance to all the necessary stores!

winkris said...

Thanks!!!

Strange how somehow it always seem to work out in the end. But i'm sending out good vibes and hoping that next week the most awesome apartment is up for rent... and it'll be all ours.

As for the cycling, i'm wishing for wide bicycle paths!