Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Holding Tight.

As a child i remember not being so fond of the monkey bars. And taking the shortcut via sliding down the metal pole was an absolute no-go. I think my fear was that i'd lose my grip and land face first on the ground. Or worse, end up like that kid who was hanging upside down on the monkey bars and then fell, landing awkwardly on a partially buried brick. This unfortunate accident had caused him to split open the skin around his elbow leaving his arm drowned in blood and his bone exposed.

I, of course, being the champion of being at the wrong place at the right time, witnessed this and was immediately traumatised.

More than two decades later, i still avoid the monkey bars.

But to this day, i'm still fascinated with how people can slide down the metal pole like a fireman without getting burns on their hands. Do they have a special ointment or powder? Or are they really that feather light?

So after sitting in awe watching Karol, Doris and Felix work the poles on YouTube videos, i was convinced that that is a fitness regime that i am willing to strive for. OK, so maybe i will never be or look as good as them, but did you see how amazingly fit they are and how incredibly sensual they look?

It's insane.

Obviously, it takes many months/years of hard training and stretching.

Seriously though, i can't even begin to fathom how anyone could even hang upside down with only a small part of their body twisted around a pole, let alone do the splits side ways whilst holding on.

Pure dedication and a
bsolute craziness right there!

And so in an act of randomness and distraction i found myself yesterday cruising online for Pole Dance/Fitness classes in Cologne. I figured since we're moving to a big city, there's bound to be a class there and true enough, there is.

And i even read on their website the beginners' level doesn't even involve getting ones' feet off the ground - so we'll see how far my fears will take me. They also recommend Arnica, in a form of a pill or cream, as they say it works wonders on bruises.

I'm so on it like white on rice!

I bruise REALLY easily.

But i'm hoping by joining a class, it will not only work on my fitness and inner strength but also my self-confidence.

Or at least to accomplish my personal goal of getting my feet off the ground, even if it's for a few seconds. And maybe, just maybe, even have a decent two-way conversation with someone who isn't covered in fur and walks around with four legs.

My lack of any kind of social life has started to take its' toll on me.

So after telling J of my plans on starting classes in January, he said he couldn't be happier.

Of course, he would say that, which boyfriend wouldn't?

Unless of course J thought Pole Dancing was distasteful, which he doesn't. In fact, he fully encourages me and insists i register, like, NOW.

And although i know it may take me years to even be close to being as slinky as some of the girls out there, for now, i'm motivated to try something new. And be forced to suffer the consequences by means of serious muscles aches and major bruises.

Who knows, if this pole dancing catches on, i may just ask for a X-POLE for Christmas 2011.



Watching her work the pole gives me goosebumps. So beautiful and smooth. I love it!

At 4 mins 30 secs, there's a guy that spins on the pole next to her and proves that just because one is all muscles, doesn't mean one is stronger. Check out how graceful she is.



One day... one day.

4 comments:

Fallah said...

It'll be good for you to have something that's yours and has nothing to do with work/cat/house and J. It'll also help you make some friends and that may help with things going on in recent times between you both. OR he may just think the idea of you spinning on a pole is the sexiest thing alive and not let you out of Bed......

winkris said...

You're so right. Maybe i do need SOMETHING that's all "mine".

And yea, he does think spinning on a pole is damn sexy. He's even offered to come home early and take me to class... ahaha.

Although the website does state that men are welcome to join only if they participate but clearly highlights "no voyeurs".

Oh well, i guess he'll just have to buy me a X-pole then.

Ms. Redd said...

wow. i don't think i will ever dare go near a pole. i keep imagining skin burn! haha.

anyhow, yay to another move i guess? :) let's hope my trip up to europe comes true next year! nice to know that you'll be making a new home...yet again. heh

winkris said...

Ms. Redd : I'm trying not to think of the skin burn. Aua!

-_-

Trying to think positive here and imagining myself spinning around with complete control and elegance.

La, la, la, la... laaaah.

As for the move, yay indeed. Thanks! Let's hope nothing f*cks it up. Now my focus is finding a decent apartment.

Well i hope everything works out and you make it to Europe next Summer!