Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Ma Teef & Gums + Fake Person*


They say Winter has come early and i believe them. According to reports the next few days will bring in polar ice winds hence the reason why it feels like my face is being attacked the second i'm outside. I'm just very grateful that J made my follow-up dentist appointment yesterday and not today.

It's super cold at the moment. Cold, obviously being an understatement.

But i managed to ride my bike in -2˚Celsius yesterday. It didn't snow and by the time i was out most of the roads and paths were cleared.


As i got to the local gardening centre's live Christmas tree plantation, i was not even 5 minutes from my front door and it already felt like i lost feeling in my finger tips. After that, i didn't stop and take anymore photos. I thought my gloves were warm but i guess they're not made for such freezing temperatures.

I hope this years' Winter is going to be a short one.

***

Anyway, all went well at the dentist.

I went for my third deep teeth cleaning. My first being in July and the second being a week after. And although the procedure doesn't really hurt, it was more uncomfortable hearing that damn ear-piercing drill which tends to get my toes curling every time. I left the office with my teeth and gums hurting but it was not nearly as bad as the first time.

However, she did say i have no cavities.

*Knocks on wood*

Yay!

But now on top of brushing my teeth and gargling with mouth wash twice a day, i was told i have to start using an Interdental brush to get in between those hard to reach places. I floss but that doesn't seem to work as well.

"Interdental brushes are not like floss they do not go up and down the side of the tooth, they just clean the area of tooth that is adjacent to the gum as it is here that the inflammation of the gum tissue starts." [source]


I bought mine at DM. The refillable pack comes with 10 pipe-cleaner-looking brushes and a little plastic box to store them in.

***

In other news, you know that apartment i was saying that could be too good to be true and that J fears it could be a scam?

Well for the last 3 days we've been in contact with a Mr. Fake Person* via e-mail. His awesome 3-room apartment in the city that comes with a full-equipped kitchen, 2 garage spaces and optional use of all his furniture comes at a low price of 600 €.

I thought it was an absolute bargain but J didn't think so.

So when we sent an email requesting to see the apartment. He wrote back with a short description of what he does. He's a 60-year old* Interior Designer* from London* who had bought the place in 2002* with his then fiancé. But then 2 weeks before the ceremony she dumped him hence the reason why he's probably no longer living in the apartment. Then last year, he met some other woman called Crystal* and they're happy living in France*. He has a 20-year old* daughter Bella*.

So until that point, i believed him.

In fact, i was almost relieved that he found true love and has decided that he didn't want to return to Germany. Obviously for selfish reasons because we needed an apartment.


My saved bookmarks says,
"nicht verfügbar" = not available.

We then reply back requesting for his telephone number so we can contact him and wrote a short description of our situation. Not getting into full detail but explaining that we're moving to Cologne because we want a new beginning. We then ask whether he could send us more photos as there are no pictures of two of the other rooms. Plus the .PDF document of the apartment is no longer accessible or available to download online.

Then the weirdest things happened.

We get a reply yesterday. It then occurs to me, why doesn't he address any of his emails to us? It sounds like he's generated one of those copy + paste jobs.

And according to J, his German isn't very good. He uses phrases that sound good in English but not in German. As well as the arrangement of verbs in the German sentences are not correct.

But not only does he not include any of our requests for a .PDF or photos but he goes straight into saying it's a good deal and that we just have to transfer 600 Euros per month via a site called MoneyBookers[dot]com.

Uhhh.

But we didn't ask anything about money or how to transfer the monthly amounts.

He goes on to say, if we want to see the place we just need to contact Money Bookers so they can pass us the keys.

YEA! SO YOU CAN RUN OFF WITH OUR MONEY, YOU FREAK!

Or what if we get the keys and get arrested for breaking and entering because it's not Mr. Fake Person's apartment to begin with!

It sounds too fishy. I'd rather have no apartment than to think we do and transfer 600 Euros to some random account and never see it again.

600 Euros is a shit load of money, ya know?

And although J warned me the second that i told him, perhaps i'm just naive. I told him he was overreacting and maybe there are good people in this world willing to rent out their place for cheap. But now my gut instinct tells me it's a scam.

So last night i wrote him an email this time but in English. J says if he claims to be from London*, he must be able to speak English. And so this is what i said;

Dear Mr. Fake Person*,

thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, we will not be needing your apartment as we have already found one.

Good luck finding a new tenant.

Kind regards,
Christina. R & J.A M...

We lied.

We haven't found an apartment... yet.


* Names, dates, profession, ages and places have been changed to protect the "so-called" innocent but most importantly, ourselves. Please don't hurt us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't worry. These scams happen all the time. I got many emails from different people claiming to have an excellent apartment in mint condition, fully furnished, 3 bedroom, crazy cheap prices, blah blah but turns out to be a lemon. When you receive such emails, best google them. Usually if it's a scam, people will post about them online esp in forums already. It's probably some sad sod living in a farm somewhere trying to manipulate western union.

winkris said...

Thanks, i was slowly freaking myself out.

Oh i so hope you're right about him being a sad sod living on a farm - that makes me feel, somewhat, better.

Well the apartment was advertised on a reputable site, so i didn't think much of it. I guess if he hadn't of suggested that odd money transfer website, i probably would have believed him.

I guess the other issue was the apartment seemed so perfect and it sucks that it isn't for rent. I guess it would suck even more if we fell for his trap.

I'm just glad i finally came to my senses.