Tuesday, December 14, 2010

When You Least Expect It...

So i made it out of the house yesterday and was actually looking forward to riding my bike. Feeling slightly sluggish with all the junk food i've been eating, i figured a little exercise wouldn't do me any harm.


The weatherman promised sun, so i was looking forward to be outside for a bit. But if you've ever ridden a bike in minus degrees Celsius temperatures, you'll know that breathing can be rather hard. And wearing heaps of layers means when you sweat it can be rather steamy under all those fabrics.

Hello Sweatville!

So anyway, there i was on my bike, half way towards the city not expecting much to happen.

And in a moment of stupidity, i nearly got run over.

*Knocks on wood*

I'm not sure whether it was the -3 degrees Celsius temperature or the fact that i was simply careless but i'm lucky i came to my senses just in time.

I crossed the road seconds before a hoard of cars were driving to the left side of me. It wasn't like i was running a red light. I was on my bicycle waiting for the red standing man and the words "Grün kommt" above to disappear. Grün kommt meaning "Green coming". And i don't know what came over me but i suddenly started peddling. As i was half way across the road, i snapped back to reality and raised my hand to apologise to the oncoming cars and thanked them for not running me over. I then stood in the island in the middle cursing myself.

10 minutes later, i arrived in the city centre.

I needed to go the ATM and chose to go to the one closest. I parked and locked my bike and made my way to the side of the road where the bus stop was and where the ATM was positioned. The road is mainly used by pedestrians and bikes. It is in clear view of everyone and the small Christmas market.

Then in the corner of my eye i saw this old man walking towards me with his bicycle. He must have not seen how high the sidewalk went up and the next thing i know, him and his blue coloured bike falls directly behind me. I immediately turn around to try and pull him up. At which point, there's a crowd of people around us and some other woman helping me pull this rather heavy man up. Thinking perhaps it was a staged attempt to mug someone, the paranoid side of me immediately checks for my wallet.

It's not.

And i'm relieved to know that my wallet is safe and the old man with very thick glasses continues on his journey alongside his bike.

So i go on with my day, send the belated birthday package to my sister and get whatever i have to buy.

My ears were nearly frozen because i had taken the head band that i had put on my head off. Maybe it's the shape of my head but i find it has a tendency to not sit in place. Which sort of defeats the purpose of being ear warmers to begin with. Plus it always messes up my fringe causing my hair to stick to my forehead in a sweaty mess. Gross.

And so my mission to find some ear muffs was ranked high on my To Buy list.

So i head into Sperling Women - a clothing store that obviously sells items for women. 20 minutes later i come back out with a fitted purple fleece zip hoodie from Sublevel that's as soft as a plush toy.


Not quite ear muffs but oh well.

The sleeves have little holes in them so i can put my thumbs through and the huge zipper is just ridiculously big and looks almost toy-like. It was reduced down from 24.95€ to 17.95€.

How could i resist?

So after a bit of a detour, i headed to the nearby supermarket.

And that's where some random guy tried to strike up a conversation with me as we were waiting in line to pay for our goods. My knapsack that i got free from the pet store managed to get a slight rip in it and the guy standing behind me thought he'd inform me. He then continued with saying that maybe somebody tried to steal my wallet at the Christmas market. I, of course didn't want to tell him that i was too lazy to fix it so i said, i know and don't worry there's only cat food inside.

I thanked him anyway for telling me.

At which point, the cashier is observing this friendly conversation and smiles. I'm not sure at me or at his attempt to chat up some chick.

Then i make it outside and organise the items so they fit in my basket at the back of my bike. Then the chatty guy who was behind me in line walks towards me. I pretend not to notice but then he stops at the bike directly beside me.

Seriously, what are the chances that that is his bike?

I delay whatever i'm doing just because i don't want to make eye contact, which in turn discourages more chit chat. And i guess he takes it as a hint but waits till i'm done before he says bye... again and walks around the corner out of sight. I continue with shifting items to make things more balanced and then not even a minute later, he comes back.

Dude!?

I'm slightly freaked out now because what if it is his bike and he ends up following me home.

And so i start walking with my bike beside me. He calls out and asks me where my hat is. I tell him i have one but it's too warm at the moment and quicken my step. And once again the paranoid side of me takes over and so i decide to take a longer route just in case he decides to follow me.

He doesn't.

But you can never be too careful. There are some real weirdos and psychopaths out there.

Then no more than five minutes after i get home i look outside and notice little flakes start falling.

It's snowing again.


One hour later everything was completely white again. I can't get over how lucky i was for not getting stuck outside when it started to snow heavily. Trying to peddle straight with snowflakes flying towards your eyes is not fun.


J later hears our landlord scraping the snow away from the front entrance and so we go J goes down to help. And i capture the moment by taking photos. I can hear the neighborhood kids playing out in the snow.

***

08:35

As usual i'm half awake before 6 AM waiting for the alarm clocks to force me out of bed. But i wait for daylight to break before i open the shutters. When i do, i'm greeted with what looks like even more snow.

One of many reasons why i should be grateful that i work from home.

The weatherman predicts even more snow today. Looks like i ain't going nowhere.

No comments: