Friday, September 03, 2010

She said, "Oh".

So i finally had my appointment this morning to see my new gynae. She's not what i expected. Not like there's a typical Gynaecologist cookie cut-out but i just pictured her to look different. She's much thinner than i imagined and she kinda reminds me of a librarian.

Anyway, i've been having some slight discomfort in the region of my right ovary and have been spotting out of the ordinary. So the past few days i've been trying to measure up the pain against the pain i had during New Year. Momentarily freaking out that maybe, i could be feeling the pains of ANOTHER Ectopic pregnancy?

Hell no! I only have one more fallopian tube, i ain't giving that one up that easily!

Well it turns out the pain that i've been having for the last week is not the result of anything too extreme but it seems that i have a 6 cm cyst on my ovary. Good thing i made an appointment when i did.

6 cm!?

That's like, super fucking big, isn't it?

Of course i didn't say that but i just remember when she shoved that lubricated instrument inside, her first word that slipped out of her mouth was, "Oh".

I mean, any doctor that says, "Oh" followed by a pause of silence can't be good.

Looking at it on the monitor, it looked massive. It looked so big that it seemed to take over the whole screen. She went on to say it looks benign and not malignant - meaning it doesn't look cancerous and that it's normal for women to have ovarian cysts. And not to worry, many women are put on birth control pills as it is said to help and decrease the development. I'm on Yasmin and have been for nearly 3 years.

Last year i had one but on my other ovary and it measured out to 7.7 cm! But over time it went away, so it's all good.

But seriously, that's like bigger than a golf ball, maybe even a Mandarin orange! I'm looking at my ruler right now and trying to imagine it.

Gross.

To give you a clearer and more graphic picture of what i have, here's an image i found online. Imagine that but reflected, since we're talking about my right ovary here. Then remove the complete left fallopian tube - that arm-like branch above the other ovary and ta da... Chrissie's insides!

Lovely.

I gotta go back in 3 months for a routine check-up. Ya know, to check that it hasn't gotten bigger. And if i go before 3 months, i won't need to pay the compulsory 10 Euros again. Which means, i sort of go for free [minus the monthly payment i pay to my local health insurance].

So yay! The joys of being a woman.

Oh! I gotta go and get ready, J's coming back from work soon and we're heading out to have a few beers. Happy weekend everybody!

Weeeeeeeeee.

4 comments:

xSharonx said...

Oh I'm sorry for you and your ovary. I don't think it's gross but frightening.
I haven't been to a gynaecologist for a long time, maybe I should go too... ugh, certainly not the nicest place to be :/

winkris said...

Thanks =) but i'm sure it's a lot worse than what it really is. But i think the idea of having something growing that isn't meant to be there is kinda gross.

Well they say, once a girl is sexually active they should go see a gynaecologist for a pap smear every year & do all the other girly check-ups.

I mean, the good thing about the body is if there is something going on that shouldn't be happening, the body reacts and sends warning bells.

So just for your piece of mind, i say go make an appointment & get it over with. At the end of the day, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

take care chwissie, will be thinking of you, sending you positive shrinking thoughts!!

love
allie

winkris said...

Thanks awwie, you too! Hope all is well on your side. MASSIVE HUGS to YOU & lil Miss Sasha!