Monday, September 13, 2010

Coffee, anyone?

I spent most of my weekend on my own. J had to work at a two-day event which forced him to get up at 4 AM on both days. The first night he didn't get home until 2:30 AM - poor thing. Reason being was that some of the other regional bosses had come to town to help at the event too and when they were done on Saturday, they wanted to go out and have a few beers.

J decided to bring them to the Irish pub. The place where he used to work part-time occasionally on the weekends so he could earn some extra cash. But according to J the place was so packed that night, he volunteered to help out behind the bar for about an hour whilst his regional bosses were busy getting drunk.

Why? Because he's a really nice guy. This was of course after working an 19-hour shift.

Crazy, right?

By the time he got home he got approximately an hour and a half of sleep before his alarm clock went off so he could get to work by 4:30 AM.

I'm sure it was painful.

I could see it in his blood shot, puffy eyes.

So then yesterday when the event ended in the afternoon, he came home to say he brought presents.

Presents?

Apparently, his client didn't want to keep some of the unopened leftovers and the regional bosses who were there too suggested that J take whatever he wanted. And so he did and returned with two crates full of things.

  1. A hundred and twenty 10 gram little packs of margarine.
  2. A dozen little packs of 16.67 grams of Philadelphia.
  3. Nine assorted big jars of jam.
  4. Six jars of Nutella.
  5. Three 1-litre bottles of Pril dish washing liquid.
  6. Three boxes of assorted tea.
  7. Two boxes of Nestlé Cookie Crisp Cereal.
  8. One pack of 800 grams Nestlé Nesquik.
  9. Three unused cleaning cloths.
  10. Three unused plastic salad serving spoons.
  11. A dozen or so metal spoons with long handles.
  12. One bag of Tschibo ground coffee special.
  13. Three boxes of coffee filters.
  14. A coffee machine that was used for only two days.

I swear, it was like Christmas. It was like going shopping but not having to pay for anything. I reckon all this would cost about 50 Euros.

Yoshi making a necessary inspection

But the one thing that i was most excited about was the coffee machine. I've always wanted one.

I know right, you're probably thinking, how sad.

The truth of the matter was, my domesticated side of me was in full force. The machine is not one of those fancy ones. It's just one that i can put a filter in, chuck in some coffee, switch the switch and leave the room kind.

That's all i really wanted.

It makes life just that little bit more easier first thing in the morning. Well besides, probably having a maid to make it for me but that's just not gonna happen.

I had inherited an IKEA coffee plunger from my sister about two years ago and have been using that to make coffee every morning. Washing down the used coffee grains down the sink because i'm too lazy to empty it out in the rubbish bin.

And when it comes to coffee made at home, i've tried various coffee blends and more than often they're too strong. But i think i managed to find one that i like.


It's called Jacobs Krönung Balance = 50% caffeinated + 50% decaffeinated. It's slightly more expensive than others but at the time of purchase it was on sale. Yay! I love sales.

Turned out that it tastes great and another plus point is it doesn't leave me all jittery if i drink too much. I think they may have just gained another loyal customer.

So now first thing when i wake up, i just have to switch my machine on and within minutes the smell of my favorite coffee stains the air that i breathe. Throw in some rolls or fresh bread in the oven and i'm in heaven.

Yum!

What's your favorite coffee blend?

4 comments:

girl with no name said...

Wow! A free coffee machine, lucky girl you are.
I've always wanted one, i bet it's real handy in the mornings too.
I haven't really got to the stage of working out my perfect brand of coffee, im happy with anything really haha. :)

Lovely blog.
x

winkris said...

I know, right!? Lady luck was totally on my side that day.

And ever since i got the machine + free filters, i'm like making a fresh cup each time. It sure beats warming up what's left in my cup in the microwave.

Although i'm thinking, maybe i should drink more water before i dehydrate further.

Anyway, thanks for dropping by and leaving a kind message! Hope you have a great Wednesday.

x

Anonymous said...

christmas indeed! phill and i got a bit crazy and decided to look at some really nice illy coffee machines... you would not believe how many thousands of bahts they want for those babies! anyway so that was that! back to ikea coffee plunger...

cheers! *chinks coffee cup*
allie

winkris said...

Ooo those illy coffee machines ARE pricey and so are those illy coffee pads!

Cheers! *Gets ready to chink my coffee cup*

Looks like i'm running low, i might just have to make a fresh cup... weeeeeeeee caffeine adrenaline!

I miss our morning kitchen/pantry chats accompanied by Jacob's biscuits and instant coffee.

=)