Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Blood Suckers

I blame this fickle weather we've been having. It's not warm enough to run around in just a t-shirt and not cold enough to bust out the winter clothes. One day rain, bursts of sunshine the next day.

I don't like this kind of weather but they do.

She comes out at dusk and waits for her victim. She lurks in the shadows. She can smell me and before i know it she attacks like a vicious beast who takes no mercy. Her feeding frenzy begins and my immediate reaction is to strike. To scratch.

"Something keeps biting me!"

I know she's there but i can't see her.

Small welts appear and so i respond by indenting my nail in its centre to form a cross. Whether that helps with the discomfort, i can't be sure. It starts to itch.

It always starts to itch.

And so i scratch to give me some relief. My skin is red and so it starts to bleed. Another scar, perhaps?

Another lost battle.


The heated air indoors is starting to dry up my eyes. The air is sucking the moisture out of my skin but i don't dare open the windows until it's safe.

Safe until it's daylight and those bitches are off feeding their young.

One more hour until sun break. But it's not yet cold enough outside to freeze her larvae and keep them dormant. I want them asleep and away from me!

Or better yet, dead.

No comments: