Monday, May 03, 2010

Sunday Junk.


I woke up this morning to a super foggy start to my Monday - literally. I could barely see past the 5th house from our back window. A sign that maybe we'll see warmer days ahead? I hope. The balcony was wet which meant it probably pissed down hardcore last night while we were sleeping. Good since the landlords' garden was in need of a watering.

Our landlord flew to Mallorca a few days ago and texted to say he wasn't going to be back for another week.

Lucky bastard. He's going to come back with a hangover and be multiple shades darker.


J was supposed to help out at the pub on Saturday but decided not to. His reason was that he wanted to spend the weekend with me. Which isn't entirely true since he spent Saturday playing Warcraft and i failed at trying to distract him.


But to make it up to me, he found my all-time favorite crisps, Walkers Salt & Vinegar at the petrol station down the road. I LOOOOVE THEM! I reckon they stocked it because there's so many British people living here. They figured they'd bring a little something from home to lure the customers in with over-priced oh-so-yummy crisps.

So anyway, we ended up driving 48 minutes to Bad Oeynhausen, where a "Cultural Flee Market" was apparently being held. I was excited at the prospects that we'd get to see some handicrafts and perhaps buy something new.

We arrived at 3pm only after stopping at Burger King for a late lunch. But then noticed half the stalls had already packed up. Not only were we disappointed that some people had packed up early but 95% of the items sold were 2nd-hand childrens' clothes.

What was so cultural about that?

And so we declared that that was the lamest flee market we've ever been to.


And to lift up our spirits we decided to look for cake. After all, we didn't drive 1 hour for nothing!


And found ourselves walking through some park. It seemed like the thing to do since there were so many people there. Mainly old couples. Maybe it was their day out?


We eventually found ourselves a café just before it started to rain. And i ended up getting a slice of some raspberry goodness and J went for the Egg Liquor. I'm not a huge fan of whipped cream but i have to admit it was rather yummy.

Oh and i've come to the conclusion that my recent chocolate and candy craving is a result of me quitting smoking. Yes, believe it or not i've managed to distract myself long enough not to give up to the hands of nicotine.

Four months and counting.

J still smokes and i can't help but grumble each time he lights up a cigarette in the living room. Lately i can't even stand the smell of a burning cigarette - it makes my throat all itchy. Maybe it's because our apartment is relatively small and the air circulation isn't all that good.

Anyway, next to the café, there was a little shop that sold antiques and 2nd hand items. The type of items that you'd find in say, your grandparents place. Some pieces dated over 100 years old.


There was a cabinet full of pocket watches and jewelry. There was this one brooch with an image of a one-eyed woman. I say one-eyed woman because the image was conveniently chipped right above her eye. I would imagine her ghost staring back at me but then that just ended up freaking myself out.

I wanted to buy something... anything and ended up getting this silver pendant. I'm not sure what possessed me to buy it but i know i'll find some use for it.


It's approximately 35mm in diameter and even has the artists' stamp on the underside: G.Dunker. You can tell it's hand sculptured because you can still see the dents underneath. I'm not sure what KAUTOKEINO stands for but after a google search it shows it's a town in Norway.

So either i have a rare piece of jewelry by some famous Norwegian Artist or i now own a piece of jewelry that looks like a mini hubcap.

No comments: