Friday, February 08, 2008

The return of "THE Green pills"

I spent the first day of Chinese New Year sniffing away and sneezing uncontrollably. The annual traditional vegetarian bee hoon that my mom makes on the first day of the new year, which i'm usually the one getting two or three helpings of, didn't really get me excited. All i could think of was shoving the mushrooms up my nose just so i could stop sniffling away. Although i don't think mom would be too pleased.

But i'm not sure why i was getting sick. It's not like i've been out and about and exposed myself to any virus' lately. I can't remember being sneezed on lately and i've always tried to keep my distance and i even hold my breath should someone cough or sneeze in my bubble of comfort. I go as far as waving my hand about like as though i'm shooing an invisible fly, as if that would help combat anything. But my sneezing began the day before and i thought after some wine the alcohol would do it's magic and it would disappear and i thought i would be good as new.

Little did i know that was just the beginning.

So my dad digs deep into his medicinal bag and pulls out various bags of coloured tablets. I'm sure any drug abuser would have a field day since there were all sorts of left over capsules and tablets to chose from - all of which are legal mind you. Then like a prized possession he hands me a slab of green pills.

Are those THE green pills? I asked enthusiastically. Apparently the pharmacist that my dad went to didn't get the memo that these have been taken off the market. I'm sure i've written about them in a previous post. Somehow they found some ingredient in it that isn't so good so they banned it.

But it's the ONLY thing that seems to work! They say it's good for colds, flus, aches and pains... basically any sign of wear and tear on your system these gifts from the medicinal gods can cure. Well that's what i like to believe. The size of a 5 cent coin and an over sized lozenge, this toxic coloured neon green tablet has a crown emblem debossed on one surface and a score mark on the other - one can only assume they're in it for some serious business!

Febricol. Revised Formula is printed on the blister back and it lists 3 of the main ingredients. As long as they do its job i don't really care what's in them or how ridiculously long their names are.

I was only going to take 1 since it wasn't like i was on my death bed. I could still function but then i was encouraged to take 2. Why not? It's not like i was going anywhere. And it wasn't long until i found myself on my bed. That schit knocks you out! Drowsy as all hell with what felt like a weight attached to my skull, i stumbled in and out of sleep fighting to stay awake.

But i did manage to crawl out of bed to watch some t.v but my eyes could barely stay open. So back into bed i went minus dinner and feeling pathetic. I woke up several times unsure what time it was or even what day it had turned into.

Then it was around 9 in the morning when i received a surprise phone call from J.

But because of the time difference and that he's been sick all week, i've managed to speak to him at a more godly hour. But he had just woken up from his nap and it was really nice to hear his voice since i hadn't spoken to him during the day. And after an hour of chatting of god-knows-what i realised that always starts my day off really well. So now he's gone back to bed because he has work to go to in a few hours, as for me, well i figured i had enough of my bed and decided to greet the morning - something that i haven't done for awhile.

And i must say, it was a nice change to hear the morning birds and see the first rays. I feel so rested... it's fabulous! Yes, it feels great to not hear the echo of a running nose followed by a stuffed head. Oh i'm so stealing the extra strip for those just-in-case days!

No comments: