Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The wheels are turnin'

Yesterday i was running on reserve energy and had to inhale coffee just to keep me functioning. Whilst pushing the trolley through the supermarket all i could think about was tucking myself in between the iceberg lettuce and cabbage. But i made it home in time to draw the curtains and pass out. A free airline mask that i found came in handy to block any sunlight creeping into my room.

The reality of me heading to Europe is becoming clearer each day. And already i'm browsing at companies online but of course, being IN the country helps as it will give me more of a feel of the place and only then will i be able to gauge my comfort level. I'm looking at a 3-month window to start off with and then i'll take it from there. Besides my main reason for being there, the question i have to keep asking is, will i like it there enough to be there on a permanent basis?

On one hand, living out of a suitcase in a foreign land means being very selective as to what i bring. Which can be a slight issue since i have a habit of over packing just because i am indecisive. But unlike any previous trip where one would plan for a 10 day journey, mine doesn't seem to have an immediate deadline which i can imagine many would love to be in my position. But the truth is there are so many complications and considerations that have to be taken into account. Money obviously being a HUGE factor since the exchange rate is not in our favor, so planning is essential!

But i can't help that my mind continues to circulate around the 22 kg maximum check-in limit. But then again that really isn't so much of an issue because there's more to life than what i can cram in a bag and i have more urgent matters to look into.

So yea, yesterday i ended up buying a Basic German Course book... oh gawd! I figured the 6 CDs that it came with would at least keep me occupied and prepare me for a land of foreign words. Maybe the lack of sleep yesterday discouraged me and before i even popped in the CD i already felt defeated. I'll be honest and say i've gone as far as ripping the plastic wrap off but i've progressed by flipping through the pages. NO! I'm NOT giving up, i'm SLOWLY getting into it. I'll get over my fears! I MUST BE POSITIVE DAMN IT!

Tomorrow my folks and i will sit down and try to iron out what options there are for me to getting my arse to that side of the world. So right now, i'm in the process of writing in point form what i have to say because i'm sure i'll forget something. I foresee MANY questions pop up as to what my intentions are once i'm there. But i must remember to stay calm and remain open to whatever we all decide. My sister and i are already looking at various solutions and are in constant contact with one another most of our waking hours... so that's encouraging. Thank gawd for Skype!

So really, as of this very moment, things are looking VERY interesting and MORE positive. And my list of Must Do's before my departure continues to grow...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm off to bangkok tomorrow morning for ten days, then will come back and face the movers... good luck with your planning too and if it's any comfort i have also not progressed beyond chapter 1 of my learn thai book!

big hugs to you
a

Duke said...

what is your skype address?

winkris said...

a: sawadee kha!

Well by now you should have arrived in your new destination. Hope your journey with the Pau wasn't too stressful. Well by the time you return, i will PROBABLY be freezing my toosh off on the other side of the world and wishing i was basking in the sun. I'll be sure to post up pics ASAP. Anyway, do keep in touch so i know how things are going with the move and stuff.

duke: heya buddy! I think if you type 'winkris' you should find me.

Ya know there's even an imposter on skype! Some random other person calls themselves the same handle... *gasps* But because i'm fast like lightning i got first dibs... =p muahahaha!