Thursday, April 10, 2008

Back to School

I can't begin by telling how painful it is to wake up so early now. It's been months, if not years since i was forced to switch my brain ON and absorb information before lunch.

The previous company i used to work at had a rule that Designers had to only be at the office BEFORE 11am. Any later, we'd be crossed off as having half day leave. Our hours per day could range anywhere between 8 hours to 16+ depending on how much work one had. I remember that one pitch i worked on and i had to do a 3 all-nighters in a row. It was shit i tell ya! So i guess that's fair.

So far learning a new language is proving to be rather interesting. The only thing i'm not into are the early wake up calls. I am SO not a Morning person.

After 3 hours of intense learning, i look forward to getting home just so i can take my mid afternoon nap. It's horrid, i can't seem to function properly without sneaking in a snooze after i stuff myself with cheese sandwiches. Then before dinner squeeze in another 2-3 hours reading through my chicken scratchings of the day and doing my Hausaufgabe = homework.

But i must say, after Day 3, it's S-L-O-W-L-Y sinking in. Formal, Informal, Grammar: Masculine, Feminine, Singular, Plural... i guess once i get the formulas drilled in my head, it should get easier.

I hope.

It's one thing learning something in ones' mother tongue but it's a whole different ball game trying to split your thoughts and comprehend something that sounds out of this world. Hats off to all those who are bilingual/trilingual.

Now that i think about it, i'm actually quite happy that i'm living here. Apart from the crappy, cold mornings... it's actually really nice.

I'm so looking forward to Summer though and i can't wait to store my feather down jacket in my closet. Apparently Germany is very beautiful around that time of year. But i've heard so many people bitch and moan about being in this country. I've always wondered, if people have nothing positive to say, why do they even bother? That kind of negativity does nothing for me and i'd rather not hear it. But then again i've only been here for 7+ weeks. So we'll see. I'm thinking positive.

So yay for me! I get a gold star for trying.

No comments: