Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The end of sleep-ins, the beginning of early starts.

I'm usually the one taking photos at events, my reason being that i like to document the night. Maybe that's some kind of subconscious way of hiding. Which probably explains why at the end of each night out i have to sieve through hundreds of photos.

The world is a different place behind the camera lens.

04.04.2008: But Friday night J's ex boss was having birthday drinks at some club and so we decided to go. I met some of his colleagues and they were nice. I guess being in a foreign space i wasn't eager to take photos of my surroundings. Plus the music wasn't exactly my taste. Although the interior is nice, it was swamped with yuppies. After 2 beers J and i still weren't feeling the music.

So we said our farewells and decided to go to another club called Parkhouse. It was a rather small place, it looked more like a bar. But the interior was quite nice. They played Electro House and House, although they're not exactly my kind of tunes, i still had a fun time.

And you know how they have those photographers who randomly take photos, then pass you their card to check out your picture online? Well me being me was standing by the bar waiting for J to do what he had to do and got my photo taken. Eventually, after a few flashes, i just grabbed some random guy standing next to me to pose with me cause i was feeling uncomfortable having my photo taken alone. Where was J?

:: Some stranger and i... oh so typical of Chrissie! ::

J eventually came back and we spent the rest of the night by the dance floor. Well HE danced mostly and i stood by the side and dealt with random guys trying to pick me up. And I stood around repeatedly telling them, "Yes, J is my boyfriend". Clearly, there was a communication problem. I don't speak German. They don't speak English. So J had to translate for me. But everyone was so friendly and smiled the night away.


If anything that Friday night proved so many great things about the type of person J is. We trust one another and he knows i can take care of myself. And without being too confrontational he knew exactly when to step in when the boys got a wee bit too close. But it's all good, everyone was having a good time. And it was probably one of the best nights i've had since arriving. Cheers to us and good times!

...

YESTERDAY: My Monday began at 7:30am in Düsseldorf and J drove me to the station arriving 5 minutes before my train was scheduled to leave. But my train was delayed by half an hour. So no stress there since my German classes were scheduled for 1.30pm.

So i thought.

I arrived home and Boobers decided to call the school to find out about payment and to confirm the time that my afternoon class would begin. She got off the phone and apparently, THEY had forgotten to inform me that the classes that i registered for had been cancelled and there was only morning classes.

Great. How unprofessional could they be?

They had 3 weeks to inform me! They had both my email address and contact number but i guess they couldn't be bothered. Despite confirming my registration online, they so happened to forget to inform their customers about the change in time table.

Not good.

So slightly pissed off and deciding that we wouldn't give them any money. My sister hunted down another school and called in to ask whether it was OK if i came in 1 day late. They were very friendly and helpful on the phone, so that was already a good sign.

TODAY: I am NOT a morning person at all and i grumbled my way to the shower. It was 7:30am and the thought of heading out in the 2˚C weather was definitely not something i was looking forward to. When is Summer going to be here?

By 8:30am, we were out the door and i dragged my sister to come with me. I didn't want to be the lost little Asian girl wandering the streets trying to find some random building. And like tourists, we printed out a map just so we knew how to find our way. Like a little girl attending her first day, i begged her to wait until i got inside. Yes i know, i'm a big girl but still... it's still scary ya know!

But within seconds of entering i introduced myself to the people sitting at the table. I guess the Be-Miss-Friendly mode switched on. I sat next to some girl on the opposite side and immediately we started chatting. M was really friendly, which made it easier to get the conversation flowing. She's from New Zealand but is originally from South Africa. And although it's been awhile since i heard the accent, it was rather comforting to know that i understood her. I must say it was nice to meet new faces.

And no i didn't find out what zodiac sign she is. BUT i will find out tomorrow morning!

We chit chatted over a cigarette during our 15 minute break. I found out she's on a one year break from her studies and is working as an Au Pair [staying with a German family and taking care of their children]. She's only 19 but we seemed to get along. I can't believe i'm nearly 10 years older than her! Not like that made any difference.

So yay, for me. I made my first friend!
.
.
.
Oh and also to roughly say, "Ich spreche Englisch und ein bisschen Deutsch".

2 comments:

Duke said...

ensulligan zie bitte, vie hies du?

winkris said...

Ich heiße Christina. Hallo! Du sprichst aber gut Deutsch, Duke. ;)