Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Now I Need A Garden Gnome.

Over the weekend we had the most amazing weather. The thermometer in the car read 28˙C [minus about 2˙C because it was not shaded]. Hard to believe since Winter wasn't that long ago and Germany is known for its' gray skies. I still think my brain is not fully defrosted from the -15˙C we had at Christmas.

I was desperate to go outside.

Being cooped up indoors behind a 21.5 inch monitor for practically the whole week can do anybody's head in.

And apart from cafés and restaurants being open on Sundays, there isn't really that much else to do. Sunday is Germany's "rest day" so stores and such are closed. Oh except for places of worship.

That said, J found a Sunday flee market open. So there i was dressed in baggy shorts, a halter top and baring more skin than usual. Random items being sold ranged from 50 cent panties to Electronics to even freshly baked bread.

After snaking through the aisles and actually sweating, J was most excited about his bargained down price of 6 original 2nd hand DVDs for 14 Euros.

I, on the other hand was distracted by a mushroom.

Yes, a mushroom.

Not the hallucinogenic kind but one made out of plastic.

Like a typical woman, i was afraid that if i didn't buy it then and there, somebody else would get it. Oh no! Or worse, i'd leave and J wouldn't hear the end of me rambling on about how i should have bought it. And how much more complete my life would be if i had it.

So before i knew it, i found myself busting out my German and asking how much. And i even managed to get 50 cents knocked off the price.

Score!

Knowing very well it's totally unnecessary and useless since a) we don't have a garden or a gnome to match it with. b) I could have probably spent my 2 Euros more wisely. c) It was probably stolen from somebody's garden since there was still dirt at the bottom and d) they [the guys selling the stuff] looked a bit suss with their collection of randomness.

But never mind.


After a couple of beers and a few rounds of pool, we came home one shade darker and craving a nap.


But not before i was jumping with excitement that i had found the perfect spot for my new friend. Bless J for being so understanding and pretending he was just as excited.

No comments: