Wednesday, March 19, 2008

IKEA screwed us!

"How ironic because IKEA forgot to add the screws..."

So yea, my Wednesday began at 8am because the guy came an hour early to install the kitchen unit. But my room is pretty much next to the main door so i was able to sprint down my ladder and open the door. Nothing beats having 3 degree celcius air slappin' you in the face seconds after you emerge from your sleep..."Guten Morgen!!!"


My bed is on a man-made platform that rests at least 1 and half metres off the ground. I have yet to master racing down my 6 step wooden ladder with grace. But then again things like that can't be rushed. I've already walked into a coffee table the first week which caused me to develop an instant bruise. I dropped part of the shelving on my foot which caused some serious throbbing action and slight limping. Then just now nearly twisted my ankle because i wasn't looking where i was going because i wanted to grab my camera to take a photo of the hail - which of course melted by the time i returned outside.

Never mind.

So my plan is to get a bunch of cushions to throw on my 140x200 red carpet should i accidently misplace my foot then at least i'll have SOMETHING to break my fall.

But the guy is here to install the IKEA kitchen unit because things like that should really be done by a professional. The counter top comes as one big ass piece and we don't have the tools to make a hole for the sink, stove top to fit etc. Apparently it's common for flats to come completely gutted and people who move end up taking their WHOLE kitchen with them. So over the weekend we went to IKEA in Cologne, it so happens to be the closest AND also the busiest for some reason.

Originally we had more items to the unit but to save costs we made amendments to the overall plan and took away the cabinets above. I guess the woman at the Kitchen section was over worked, stressed or WHATEVER and had forgotten to include the most important item in our long list of purchases... The "feet" - they hold the whole thing up and raises it 15cm off the ground.

So yea... 2 hours into building the items the guy is surrounded by half constructed cabinets and unable to continue because the whole unit needed those 16 little feet - which we didn't have. So the only option Boobers had was to pay the guy extra for over time and get him to drive to get these little additions at some other store which ordinarily would be 1/3 of the price at IKEA.

Neither one of us has a car and neither one of us knew any different when we collected all the items in the holding hall. All the descriptions are coded AND in Swedish... how were we to know that the feet were missing?

Damn it. So that's money wasted for no reason just because the woman at IKEA took it off our printed sheet by accident and we had no prior knowledge in kitchen unit installations.

Bleh!

And to add to the drama this morning, Mother Nature shared her frustration by sending hail, snow, rain and frosty wind just above where we live. Greaaaaaat! There's love!

But never mind, an hour and a half behind schedule, 70€ poorer, we are told we WILL have a full kitchen installed before the end of the day. So yay!!! I can finally cook again and i don't have to eat sandwiches and/or cereal for dinner.

I haven't gone into the kitchen yet to check out the progress but this was the scene this morning...


1 comment:

Belinda said...

I think that I will never want to see another cardboard box ever again.

EVAAAAAR!