Thursday, March 13, 2008

Officially a resident in Germany

After i quit my job in KL, i pretty much had to get my work visa canceled pronto. There was no delay in immigration telling that i had to exit the country and as soon as i got my taxes cleared i was outta there.

My 2 month siesta on the little concrete island meant i was only on a tourist visa and had to do the infamous crossing-the-border for a few days just so i could get my stay extended. And the only way i could remain there legally for a long period of time was if i got a job, enrolled as a full-time student or married a local, which obviously the latter was NOT an option.

*insert trumpet sounds* But not anymore! it's official...

:: I am a Bonn resident! ::

No i didn't get married! This ordinary looking A4 official document states my new address and proves that i live here. All thanks to my E.U passport i can remain in Europe for as long as i please and because i've registered for my German classes, i am now in the system as a "Student".

My fingers remain crossed that i can bust out in German with confidence without sounding like a dumb arse, get an amazing Graphic Design job that i love with co-workers i get along with/understand AND with a boss that appreciates his/her staff and their work, *thinking positive here* I just have to inform the relevant department and they'll make the changes.

Simple.

But today i was then allowed to open a bank account. Never mind that my current balance is ZERO and i understand just about NOTHING, at least i've got that sorted. My sister has been a HUGE help with regards to translating EVERYTHING and communicating on my behalf, surely i wouldn't have been able to do it on my own... Danke schön!

And that's not all, after registering, the lady passed us a green booklet with a bunch of passes to various art museums, theater shows, a ride along the Rheine and even a city tour, so that'll be interesting. Best part was, it's all FREE!

No comments: