Monday, March 17, 2008

The start of a new chapter


So here i am in my new flat. Everything is in working order minus the cabinets, oven and stove top for the kitchen only because they are still are in their IKEA boxes and the guy who's going to install everything is only coming on Wednesday. But considering it's only Day 3, there's a positive vibe that already oozes from the new place.


But going back to my birth day, it was spent helping my sister move, packing/unloading/unpacking boxes. Then immediately spending hours in IKEA trying to remain under budget to get the necessities to live comfortably for at least the first couple of months. Mushroom boy and J did their part of being our official movers - THANK YOU! which even included renting a truck to transport the items from point A to B and then C to B.

And nobody could deny that it was a VERY long day and unlike any other birthday. Surprisingly, emotions were kept to a minimum and i am thankful that the weather was kind and chose not to rain on our big day.


J bought me birthday flowers and later bought 2 bottles of Champagne at a very nice restaurant/café which coincidently my sister and i found out tonight serves yummy food, the owner is super friendly and even gave my sister a bottle of champagne to welcome us to the neighborhood AND it so happens to be RIGHT next door! [I'll take photos of the interior when i'm there next, it's really nice and has heaps of character].

Anyway back to my story, 30 seconds before the day ended Boobers, J and i celebrated a successful "move" and of course the start of my new year. It was indeed a memorable day and one that i will remember for as long as i have my brain cells intact.

I couldn't have asked for a better birthday present... Thanks mom and dad!

And although Boobers is going through a rather rough patch in her Life, i am happy that she hasn't completely broken down and i am certain she will slowly get her Life together. It just takes Time - something that can't be rushed. Everybody has their bad days and only now i can say it's perfectly normal. But i can already sense an inner glow and spark returning so that's good. So it's comforting to know that this move has gotten off on a positive note.


Except for one thing, my new feather-down 140cm x 200cm duvet that i bought at IKEA had to be returned!

Seconds after i ripped off the plastic bag, the most intense stench released itself into my breathing space. I swear it was revolting. It wasn't normal. Thank god computers don't have that Smell Me feature like Scratch n' Sniff stickers because i'd save you from gagging and perhaps throwing up on yourself.

It smelt like some random duck had died in there and had been raped by a wet dog [not like i know what that would smell like but i can only assume]. I aired it out over night on the ladder and no amount of Febreeze could help it. I feel sorry for the poor duck who had to sacrifice its' Life because that duvet ain't keepin' ANYONE warm anytime soon! I even think the metal ladder has absorbed some of the odor. So until we returned it, i took full advantage of J's warmth on my man-made high bed and random fleece blankets to keep me comfortable. And to save myself from gagging i've purchased a synthetic one.

A bigger bonus was having J stay over the past 2 nights because it's a tad far and expensive for him to keep driving back forth between cities and that gave us some real quality time to be together. I think for me, i was anxious to see how it would all work out. Not only the move itself but the combination of emotions and stress the past few weeks had inflicted on all of us, it formed a better picture. I can be very grateful to say it all went smoothly.


So one thing i've learnt in the past year or so is to take things as it comes. To take each day one day at a time and over-planning often leads to disappointment, so it's best to just take it slow.

And so far, this theory has worked. We're in no rush.

Nobody could have ever predicted this and like a new season i watch it unfold slowly. I can honestly say i am excited to see what will happen, not only for "us" but my own life; a new chapter begins...

3 comments:

xes said...

I might be in Berlin sometime in May. Wanna meet up!!?

winkris said...

Oh really??? For work i'm assuming. Well keep me posted because i would have started my German classes and i'm unsure what my schedule will be. Cheers!

xes said...

will be there from 17 to 21 may for a conference but planning to stay back to roam around Germany. Since you're in Bonn, I was thinking of visiting Bonn (i know 500km away). If I go, I will be there around 22 - 24 May. Will u be free?? Any where cheap to stay? hehe