Friday, April 17, 2009

Paperbacks and Figures.

It still amazes me how German words can get so long. For instance the 17 letter word below: Zentralbibliothek may look like gibberish to anyone who has no idea but once translated it simply states it is the "Central Library". No, it's not a typo, there is meant to be no space in between the two words.


So that's where i was part of yesterday afternoon. J wanted to check it out since he had heard that the library is quite big. And for one year membership he only payed 13 Euros and he can borrow as many books as he desires for a time limit of 28 days. As well as he can borrow DVDs for 7 days and CDs for 14 days. Cool, eh?


There's even a relatively big childrens' section where you can borrow games. Which i thought was pretty neat since if one were to buy a board game at the store it would be at least twice the price, if not more of the library membership fee. Here, you can borrow it and should you think the game sucks or is boring, you can simply give it back.

They don't have much of an English section but i did manage to find a few shelves. Well at least that's better than nothing. Beggars can't be choosers.


And this is what we came home with. We got a bit excited with this new leash of freedom, i think more J than i. People must have thought, damn... they must really like to read. And out of the stack that we checked out, i only got two. Based on the genres, i'm sure you can guess which of them are mine.

Believe it or not, i'm not much of a reader.

I write every day Well i blog about my life nearly every day but i have no desire to pick up a book and get lost in it. Somehow very few books have caught my attention. I'm sure avid readers are cursing me by now declaring how deprived i must have been as a child. But in all honesty, i never really had the urge to want to pick up a book/magazine and read it day in, day out.

I think there was so much pressure when i was young that i simply said, no. I. don't. want to.

But that doesn't stop me from buying more books in hope that one day i will be interested to read them from front to back. Strange. I know.

I currently have 2 books sitting on my bedside table; 1 that i bought days before i left the Concrete Jungle to come live on this side of the world [which has been over a year now] and the other i borrowed from J's parents when i went to their house at the end of last year. And neither one of them is finished. I'm only guessing my first few reading experiences whilst growing up were bad. Being forced to read when clearly all i wanted to do was anything but that. And i think that concept stuck.

I blame my short attention span.

However there is one book that i have read from start to finish, giggled at numerous times throughout and labeled it as "my favorite". But i lent it to a friend... who then lent my book to her friend and unfortunately, i never got to see it ever again. I believe it's called "My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands" by Chelsea Handler.

Hmmm. Never mind. It's gone to a better place i'm sure.

But now i have a new book it's called "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. I have 28 days to finish it. Well technically 27, so we'll see how i manage with that. I'm already up to page 22 and i've giggled twice, so that must be a good sign. Best part about this library is you can drop your books off at any of the libraries around the city and should you not be done, you can go online and extend your book for up to 6 months.


But here's the sign that was in the library to inform members that one has to wait behind the line when checking out books. I love how the Designer has realistically added some weight to the figures. And instead of the standard pinafore dress for the woman, she now has grown a waist and... has saggy tits. But i do wonder why she has to be semi-bow legged.

Oh and on a totally different note, guess what!?


McD's has brought back the Veggie burgers! Oh happy days! I was so excited i had to order 2. The one on the left is the Chicken Premium that J got. But it must have been our luck day because the woman behind the counter must have been distracted since she ended up giving us 2 Chicken Premiums but we had only payed for 1. Score!

2 comments:

Ms. Redd said...

its with me!! boooo
i kept forgetting to pass it back to lainey everytime i met her. *blush*

let me mail it back to you!!

winkris said...

oooOooh that's right, it was YOU! ahahha... now i remember.

No worries. You've got more important things to worry about and prepare for. If anything, you could give it back to lainey and when and if i return back to KL for holiday, i'll get it off her then.

=)

And anyway, i've got a new book to keep me occupied. Woohoo page 64... speed racer! LOL