Thursday, June 10, 2010

Burns are a common type of home injury.

And i just added to that statistic.

In a split second of carelessness, i stupidly hooked my arm around a super hot iron in attempt to grab something. And this is the result of me not paying attention when ironing. At first there wasn't much of a mark but my gawd, did it sting like the mother of all bitches!

Aua!

Yes girls and boys, irons are hot and they can burn your flesh if you're not careful.

So after running it under cold water and slapping on some zinc cream, i went out to run some errands and tried not to think about it. Because, in my head, Zinc helps all wounds heal better.

3 plus hours later…

J picks me up on his way back from work and i proudly show him my wound but he doesn't share my enthusiasm. He doesn't look that impressed and insists on bringing me to the Apotheke [Ah-po-tek-uh; German for Pharmacy] to get some burn gel and to get a professional's opinion.

So there i am wiping sweat off my face and i'm told i should keep the area cool & dry to prevent it from blistering and getting infected.

Great. I'm covered in sweat because it's so warm and my skin is far from dry.

And then she tells me NOT to apply Zinc cream as that can dry out the wound and could make the skin crack leaving a nasty scar. And if it does blister and become worse, i should go and see a doctor.

Seriously!? Oh shit. I DID put Zinc cream on it… LOTS of it.


We get home and i wash off whatever is left of the Zinc that my arm hasn't absorbed and slather on some cooling gel specifically for burns. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it's not too late.

Worse comes to worse and it doesn't disappear, i could say it's a wicked birthmark in the shape of a blood orange wedge. Or if it gets really ugly, a failed scarification burn experiment.

7 comments:

xSharonx said...

Ouch, that looks nasty and reminds me of my confrontation with a hot oven ...
It was only half the size of yours but it did blister and became very bad. BUT now it's finally fading! So I hope this goes for you to :)

Ms. Redd said...

ouch!! i was thinking of u when i ironed 'his' clothes today...hahah...

anyway, i reckon once the skin is completely healed, just get a tattoo to 'cover' it! hehe

winkris said...

Sharon: Oh i hate those oven conflicts! Well so far it's been behaving itself, my fingers are crossed. I've got scars dating way back, so chances of it completly fading is unlikely... =(

Ms.Redd: ahahah... yea, i was ironing all of J's work shirts and trousers. From now on i'm ironing with long sleeves.

As for the tattoo cover up, great minds think a like... ;) Even though my plan was only to continue on my right arm but fate has pushed me to consider my left.

=)

Anonymous said...

looks like we all have our burn moments...

http://iamcrazynia.wordpress.com/2010/06/06/ultimate-klutz/

hahaha i was just thinking to myself...eh the mark on the arm so familiar.

hope it didn't scar :)

winkris said...

Heya ahnia! Yea i'm pretty accident prone and i've made a conscious decision to wear long sleeves when near an oven or iron.

Well the outer curve is still red and because of the location it keeps rubbing on the edge of my table. So until it's completely healed i'm stuck with wearing a loose bandage.

Ouch. I had a look at your burn. Lucky that you're in Winter and you can cover it up. How's it healing?

Anonymous said...

hahaha i accidentally scratched it today coz i forgot it was there but it's drying up and *touch wood* will only leave a lil mark i think... (cross fingers)

oh they say vitamin E oil helps :)

winkris said...

Yea, the top layer has cracked and the skin and bits are peeling off but i'm putting on some wound cream so maybe that'll generate the skin cells underneath.

Once it's not so red underneath, i'll try and look for Vitamin E oil.

Thanks!