Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Dress Hunt: Part 1.

So my Dress Hunt was a complete fail yesterday.

I walked into a few stores only to be distracted by everything else BUT a dress. Don't you hate that!? I blame H&M and their sale. Tops as low as 3 Euros [originally 10] and lingerie down to 5. I realised the longer i stayed in there the more it got invaded.

I swear, women can smell Sales!

After two relatively short hours, i had practially looked at everything multiple times and i was ready to go to the cashier. Armed with a long sleeveless top with some simple crocheted back reduced to 7 Euros and a 5-pack of ankle socks for 4.95, i stood in a very long queue.

My feet were killing me, no thanks to a new pair of wedge shoes that J bought me the other week. And having worn flats/slippers for so many years, i forgot how uncomfortable it was to wear anything else.

Serves me right for wanting to be 9.5 cm taller!

My patience had run out and i reminded myself that my whole purpose of going out was to find a dress.

Not a top.

Not a multi-pack of socks.

A dress.

The line wasn't going anywhere, so i asked myself, do i really want to stand here for items that i don't really need?

Time was ticking.

I had already missed my bus and the next one was in an hour. And so i ditched the idea that i would find a dress. And had just enough time to find my way to REWE [a supermarket about 15 minutes away] for my ingredients for yet another carrot cake.

6 blisters later and minus finding a dress, i finally came home with my baking ingredients PLUS a new muffin tray. And to make myself feel better i then baked a recipe that my sister had sent me a link of. Here it is, Carrot Cake by Joy of Cooking Recipe.

It's not Vegan and i did end up making a few adjustments.

Instead of oil, i used butter. And instead of walnuts, i mixed 1 cup roasted & chopped up hazelnuts and 1 cup shredded coconuts. I was told a cup of buttermilk would add more moisture, and so i did that. As for the frosting i used a Vanilla cheese cream mascarpone with lemon zest to cover it.

I restrained myself from eating any last night and instead ate a few slices for breakfast.


Verdict: TOTALLY YUMMY!

And my sister was right, the hazelnuts, shredded coconuts and buttermilk do make it taste so much better.

***

But i should really do some work now. And so my dress hunt continues - i have two more days!

2 comments:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

That looks and sounds so good- I cannot believe you resisted until the morning- I am not sure that I could have done that!
Nice to meet u!

winkris said...

Heya Lady Ren, thanks for dropping by and yes it's delicious! =)

I promised my boyfriend i wouldn't finish it all before he gets back tomorrow.

So each time i pass the kitchen - which has ended up being more than usual, i'm inclined to only take a sliver of a piece.