Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dress Hunting.

My baking frenzy ended when i noticed the 2nd block of butter that i had bought was not suitable for baking. I was absolutely devastated since i had spent part of the weekend googling recipes and clicking links in hopes i'd make the best dessert ever. OK maybe not so drama as being "devastated" but i sure was sad.

Speaking of sad, J left early this morning for a 3-day Managerial training workshop which is about 350 km down south.

And i miss him already.

But i'm hoping in his absence i can get some work done. My next deadline isn't until another two weeks - i think, so at the moment i'm not worried. But i seem to work better under pressure, which is probably a bad thing. I need to manage my time better i think.

Distractions are everywhere.

Like for instance this Friday, J's little brother, well not so little anymore, is graduating from high school. And J and i are invited to the graduation ball. Apparently, it's tradition to invite the parents and relatives to this event and in support of the family, J and i are going. Only problem is i need to wear a dress.

I actually don't own any dresses.

Well not the fancy kind. I recently bought a cute red & white one from a flea market [originally from H&M] and that cost me a whopping 2 Euros. But i'm thinking it's more of an afternoon-tea-party-in-the-garden dress.

So now i'm in a slight panic.

I'm not quite sure how fancy i should go but i'm inclined to lean towards more of a cocktail dress as opposed to a ballgown. I mean, it's not my graduation. Plus i would probably want to wear it again.

And so i've decided i like my dresses to be vintage/retro-inspired and if they have cap sleeves, all the better! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a) it's not going to blow a hole in my budget b) it fits me perfectly c) it adheres to the dress code d) i can find shoes to match.

But the other day, i found a few online that i fancy...





Pinup Girl Clothing

And if the world was perfect and i wasn't self-conscious, this one...

Not exactly appropriate for the occasion but thought i'd throw it in for a good measure. Never mind that it's transparent and i don't have an impressive cup size or 26" waist to pull off this latex dress but the striped effect is damn cute.

OK enough dilly-dallying, i need to get ready so i can go find a dress... oh and of course heels to match. I'm already stressed just thinking about it, so work will just have to wait till later.

5 comments:

xSharonx said...

You SO met my taste! I love that pinup-style dresses soo much. For a while I was very much into the whole Rockabilly thing (I still listen to the music but that's it) and I always wanted a dress like that ... but never could afford it :( (plus I'm not curvy enough to wear such a body fitting dress)

I'm looking forward to see what kind of dress you finally bought!

winkris said...

Aren't they just lovely!? =)

Yea, i'm not that curvaceous either but i think if the cut is done well and it flares just below the knee it can help give the illusion of a more curvaceous body.

As for my dress hunt, i couldn't find anything i liked =( And after 5 hours of walking around i only came home with 6 blisters, a few ingredients and a muffin tray.

I'll see how i go on Thursday, i may head out again and look at the other shops i missed.

Sigh. This mission is proving to be more difficult than i thought.

xSharonx said...

Oh, I know that just too well. And then if you're not searching anymore, you'll find the most gorgeous dress ever. (Or lovely shoes, the best fitting jeans, the perfect shirt, etc ...)

But hey, you got a muffin tray! So you can at least bake ^^

Ms. Redd said...

u and i have the same taste! :)

what i did was tailor make one, over here it is probably cheaper to do so though... good luck with the hunt!

winkris said...

=)

Yea you're right about it being cheaper to tailor make it overseas. Plus there wouldn't be any issues about any baggy areas or not the right length.

Oh how i love how everything is so much cheaper in Asia.

Anyway, thanks for the luck - i definitely need it. But if i don't find anything by Friday, i'm still going to keep a look out ;)