Monday, August 09, 2010

15

... is the number of mosquito bites i have on my feet! I woke up this morning just before 5 am in an itching frenzy. J had to get into work for an early shift replacement, so whilst he was busy in the bathroom, i sat up in bed wishing i could shred my feet into little strips.

But lucky for me i had asked my mom to bring with her a cream i simply call the "itchy cream". It's in a purple tube and it's called Eurax. It does wonders in relieving that oh so annoying itch.

All that rain and the random bursts of sunshine we've had during the last week has given those blood sucking bitches time to breed and multiply.

I'm like a magnet, who attracts them a mile away.

I swear i could be in a room full of people and it would be me that would be covered in bites.

But let me tell you what happened prior to me being eaten alive.

So on Friday we needed to go the supermarket but on our way out i realised i forgot to wear my ring so i ran back upstairs. When i came down, J was next door at our neighbours' front yard chit chatting about something to our neighbours. I had told J about the incident with the UPS guy and how i bumped into our neighbour who then asked us if we were going to their party [see previous post].

They then invited us inside to have a beer and then gave us a tour of their place.

Turns out that they were one of the first houses to be built in the area and have in fact lived here for 46 years. We were told that over a hundred guests had confirmed that they were coming. Apparently they had invited the whole neighbourhood and many were coming.


And one of their neighbours even put up a banner on the street to indicate where the party was. The banner says, TO SILVER WEDDING. Whoever did the lettering obviously wasn't concerned about the kerning.

Aaaaargh... please can i move the I & T closer to the E?

Our next door neighbours are really friendly and although i didn't quite get around to mentioning to them that i can't speak that much German. J was an absolute trooper and kept the conversations going. They probably just think i'm very shy.

Two beers later and smiling so much that my cheeks were sore, we eventually left and said we'd drop by the next day. Even if it was after midnight because we still had to see J's mother and drive back.

We wanted to buy them flowers but then thought what if say, 50 guests came and brought with them each a bouquet of flowers. A bit of an overkill, right?

On Saturday morning we thought we'd check out Jacques, a wine store nearby and asked if the guy could recommend something. The guy running the store was pretty cute and apparently J said i couldn't stop blushing when J told him the reason why i wanted to take a photo of the wine.


Anyway we ended up with a bottle of Grappa Stravecchia - a dessert wine from Italy.

We then drove to Salzbergen [just before the border of Holland] and is about an hour and a half away from where we live to pick up J's older brother. J's brother had done an internship for 2 weeks in the same company as J and apparently they were so impressed with the older brother that they offered him a job before his training was complete. No longer unemployed, he now has a full-time job as a chef.

Then we drove all the way to their parents' place and J's older brother showed me how to make a very simple curry sauce and Roti Canai [click for recipe] - a type of flat bread that J and i've been craving for ever since we left Malaysia. But instead of Ghee as the recipe states, oil works just as well.


They tasted good but nothing actually beats eating the real deal. One definitely needs to get the technique right. I found the dough to be still quite thick at the end and tasting a little like curry puff pastry but never mind. I will definitely have to try and make it myself though by watching How to Make Roti Canai YouTube vids.

Just so you know if i ever make my way back to KL for a visit, i'm totally going to overdose on Roti Canai and all that yummy food.

So anyway, by the time we drove back it was midnight and we were exhausted.

Still full from all that food, we made our way over to the neighbour's place, armed with a present and tired smiles. When we got there, there was probably about 30 people still there and it was clear that a few people, including the grandfather had drunk too much when they couldn't stop slurring.

Our landlord was there too and had turned a shade of red from having drank as much as he did. We found out that they told him that we had gone over to meet them the day before. Proof that a close-knitted community likes to talk to one another about the latest gossip.

It had rained heavily earlier on but thanks to the marquees everything was dry. 2 plus hours later we left and my belly was full of beer, potatoes, peanuts and cake. Oh and not forgetting my feet which were covered with damn mozzie bites!

And there i thought i was running away from those blood suckers by moving to this side of the world. Who would have guessed Germany would be breeding them too!?

3 comments:

xSharonx said...

Hahaha, when I looked at the banner of "Zur Silberhochzeit" the E and the I was also the first thing that caught my eye! It's always like that with me. For example when I go shopping I tend to comment on all the typefaces on the shopwindows and stuff :D (even I'm not that good at typography either)

PS:
The mosquitos also bite me first!
MY MOM advised me to use tiger balm and it works too ^^

winkris said...

oOo i think i might just have a small tub of that white tiger balm hidden somewhere. I'm totally going to raid the medicine cabinet NOW. Thanks!

My itchy cream is not exactly working to its potential.

-__-

winkris said...

I did a recount. I have 17 mosquito bites. I want to cry, they're so itchy! =(

And i tried using the tiger balm as you said but it doesn't seem to help. I think i may have scratched them too hard.