Friday, August 13, 2010

169 cm tall.

When it comes to shoes, i'm a creature of habit. I'll wear the same pair over and over until they're breaking at the seams or they look like they've lived through a few lifetimes.

I have a problem with finding shoes that fit. I range between a 37 and 38 and that seems to be the common shoe size. But when i do eventually find a pair, more than often they're so uncomfortable, i can't imagine wanting to go through the pain of breaking them in. And although there are many women who wouldn't dare walk out their front door without putting on a pair of pumps, i would much rather put on a pair of slippers.

But that wasn't always the case, there was a period during my teenage years when i told myself i had to wear heels. Wait, not just heels during the day but Platform wedges. And not just during the day but whilst dancing at night clubs! How i even managed that, is beyond me.

I think i was going through a denial stage.

Then in highschool standing beside girls in my class who seemed to be growing by the inches whilst my growth spurt seemed to be put on a permanent hold.


I envied them and their long legs.

Then when reality hit, i gave up the dream that one day i would be tall.

I was 22 when that happened and in a relationship that was on the verge of breaking. But my love for slippers and flats were growing stronger.

Who needs the pain and them blisters anyway!?

8 years later, i am still wearing some of the same clothes and realising maybe it's time to rekindle my love for heels. If only i could run around in a pair of Bordello Burlesque platform pumps without complaining.

Now at a measly 158 cm, i wonder if i had drank more milk as a child, would i have helped bump up my height by a few centimetres?

J's hinted way too many times that he would much prefer me wearing heels rather than the slippers that have no support for my semi-flat feet. And his determination to get me to start wearing heels again, has gone as far as bringing me to the shoe store and sitting patiently whilst i try them on.

What a kind man.

An example would be yesterday, as we were running around trying to look for a pair of Lloyd work shoes for him, we made a detour to Deichmann. The new season is out, so i casually looked at the shoes there.


10 minutes later and only after being convinced that i looked good in them, he bought me these two new pairs of ankle boots... Thank you! Perhaps my fastest shoe shopping experience ever.

I'm not quite sure when and with what i'll wear them with since i'm desperate for a new wardrobe change too but at least my toes won't be cold when Autumn gets here or better yet, my feet won't get eaten alive again by those damn blood suckers!

But i reckon, they were some kind of blackmail.

You know, a way to shut me up so he can continue to play his computer games all night and ignore me.

Oh well, it worked.

I'm happy, even though i'm sitting here barefoot and don't intend to go anywhere except maybe the supermarket later.

No comments: