Friday, August 27, 2010

Tastes like... ?

The weather is so gross now, i'm starting to think that Summer is really over. It's been raining pretty much all week with the exception of Tuesday. Yesterday evening when J came home from work, he called me to come downstairs to have a look at something. I thought maybe he needed help carrying something from the car but...


he just wanted me to look at the sky.

It looked so heavy and there was an eery silence that accompanied it.

It had pissed down hardcore a few hours earlier and you could still see the storm brewing in the distance.

So after being distracted by Mother Nature, we came back inside and i continued on preparing dinner.

Some time ago we bought some frozen Cabbage and Mushroom filled pasta at a small supermarket that stocks predominantly Russian and Polish food. I had never tried them before but since i love mushrooms so much, i figured they had to be good. J doesn't eat mushrooms, his hatred for fungi goes way back. And so i fried some chicken breast fillets, so he could chomp on them.


So anyway after making a super yummy Cheesy Bechamel white sauce from scratch and dumping all 500 grams of those over sized Polish pasta pockets in boiling water, i couldn't wait to try them.

I mean, look at the people on the package. They look happy and it's a family affair, therefore it must be good. Right?

WRONG!

I should know better seeing that Advertising is known to stretch the truth and LIE!

After my first bite, my initial thoughts were, what a complete, utter anti-climax!

It reminded me of a cross between an uncooked pork-filled curry puff and sour mushrooms wrapped in a lot of dough.

By the time i got to my third piece, i couldn't do it, my mind was playing tricks on me. It says there's only vegetables inside but why do i taste meat?

The inside even looked like mashed up raw meat, the texture was uncanny. I didn't see no recognisable vegetables.

So i hurried to the kitchen to examine the ingredients on the package and lo and behold nestled at the end between Vegetable oil and Wheat Fibre was Pork Fat.

I haven't eaten meat in over 7 years but i sure as hell know what pig tastes like even if it's just the fat.

I can't even imagine someone who does enjoy meat to even like them.

Maybe Polish food is an acquired taste?

*shrugs*

It reminded me of that time i ate the cucumbers that decorated a plate of pork swimming in oil that my friends were eating. Turned out that the cucumbers had completely absorbed the oil from the pork and that's all that i could taste.

And unless you're someone who doesn't eat meat, the concept of digesting the oil produced from the dead animal can be rather unsettling. Yup, good ole' Pu•trefaction; the process of decay or rotting in a body or other organic matter.

Needless to say, i threw up after.


But back to my polish pasta, yea, that was the end of my meal.

Serves me right for not tasting a piece before mixing it with the sauce, and what good sauce it was.

*Sigh*

...

I later stayed up to help J with his paper work. My job was to write down the matching bill number in the designated box above the company number and later sort them out alphabetically. J had to individually check the billing prices versus the actual amount that was printed - all tedious and monotonous work i say.


Yoshi, of course, wanted to get in on the action and took it upon himself to lie on all the documents and made sure that the work got done. Luna, on the other hand, was feeling anti-social and didn't want any part of it.

No comments: