Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Roti Canai + Potatoes & Lentils Curry

Ever since i left KL at the end of 2007, i've been missing Roti Canai [for those of you who are not familiar with the dish, it's pronounced "Cha-nai," not "Kanai"]. It's a flat, almost flaky bread that can either be eaten as a snack or as a main meal and most of the time it's accompanied with some kind of curry as a dip.

When i found out it was quite easy and that i actually had all the ingredients in my kitchen, i was convinced i had to make it myself.

So after watching dozens of YouTube videos and browsing through recipes, i finally ended up using SBS[dot]com's recipe.

Roti Canai Dough
300 grams plain flour
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup warm water
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon of sugar
Sunflower oil
+
Butter

***
In the end i had to add more liquid than what was stated in the original recipe so that it would combine. And i also added some oil. Click here if you want to watch the video and need full instructions.

But i basically went with gut feeling when i came to adding the wet ingredients.

So if the mix looked too dry, then i slowly added more liquid. And to give it a more Play-Doh consistency, i added about two tablespoons or maybe more of sunflower oil to the mix.

Many of the recipes asks for Ghee [which i found out is just the clarified liquid that forms after one heats butter] but that's too complicated, hence the reason for the oil. I've also seen some recipes that don't use milk at all. So i guess it depends on your preference.


I basically left the dough to "rest" overnight in a bowl covered with cling wrap and in a closed oven [NOT switched on].

Then after 14 hours, i divided them into balls and used my hands to slather butter over them. I guess if you're vegan, you could always use margarine. And then left it to sit for another 4 hours.

You can use this step by step recipe by Chef In You and allow the pictures to guide you.


I covered the area i was using with a little oil. And instead of a rolling pin, i just used the palm of my hand to flatten it out. I also placed a small bowl of oil beside me, so at anytime i needed to smooth out the dough, i could just do so by dipping my fingers in the oil.

Then made it as thin as i could without tearing. And if there were tears, i just squished the dough together to close up the gaps.

No worries, it's all good.


When i couldn't flatten it further i sprinkled a little oil in the middle and folded the sides in.



I tried doing that fancy flip [as seen above] but it just wasn't happening.

My dough somehow wasn't stretchy enough. I have yet to figure out why that is.

And i realised that the balls of dough could have been somewhat bigger. The finished pieces were so mini! So instead of 6 + 2 little ones that i made, i reckon if i divided the dough into 5 or 6, the size of each finished piece would be bigger, allowing more air between the layers.


So after frying both sides and making sure they're slightly brown, i laid the piece on the work table [or wherever you've prepared the dough] and placed my hands on either side of the fried dough, as though i'm about to clap my hands and then i clap.

If it's too hot, you can use two spatulas or place a paper towel over the piece and squish the dough together, that way you break up the layers.

I then served it beside a curry that had been simmering over a low heat for about 3 hours prior to serving.


As i made the curry up as i went along, each ingredient amount listed is a rough estimate.

Potatoes + Red Lentils Curry
100 grams Red lentils [washed until the water ran clear]
1/2 finely chopped onion
1 piece of garlic
600 ml water
1/2 tube of Tomato Purée
1 cup Plain Yogurt [i happened to have Plain Soy Yogurt, so i used that]
4 Potatoes [peeled and cut into bite size pieces]
2 tablespoons Curry powder [I used Baba's Kurma Curry Powder]
1 tablespoon Vegetable Broth powder
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
Salt
Pepper

I would advise if you make this, to taste it as you go along. You can add pretty much any spice you like or even some chili, i just so happened to use the ones above.

YUMMEH!

If i close my eyes, it's ALMOST like eating the real thing. But i have to admit, it was pretty damn tasty.

I'm so happy, now i don't have to wait till i get to Malaysia to attend to my Roti Canai cravings - i can just make it myself! Although having it made by a "professional" minus all that manual work would be obviously heaps better.

Well we have heaps of left over curry, so i know what we're having for dinner again tomorrow! Yay, another batch of dough has been made and is in the process of "resting".

6 comments:

xSharonx said...

Oh my goodness this looks so yummy, I definitely have to try this!!
I love going out for dinner to Indian restaurants and eating curry stuff -but I guess this curry dish tastes different because it's not Indian?
And is this bread something like naan?
Want it all right now!

PS:
The working out thing is just some kind of miracle haha. For two weeks now I actually managed to do a fitness parcourse every other day -which is totally crazy since there are also weeks and months where I do nothing at all. Right now I'm still feeling kinda addicted to it and I'm getting all jittery when I have to skip a day. But I'm afraid that this soon stops again...

Maybe you should try those fitness trails too? They're fun and I just learned that you can find them almost everywhere in Germany. ("Trimm-Dich-Pfad" is the german term)

winkris said...

You so should. It's so yummy!

Well the word Roti means "bread" in Malay and Indonesian. But i'm guessing the main difference between Naan and Roti Canai is that the latter is a thinner variety. Plus the ingredients are slightly different with Naan requiring Yeast for example.

I find Roti Canai less doughy and not so filling.

As for the curry, it all depends on the spices used. You could go to most Asia shops, they would definitely have a better selection than the regular supermarket.

I think if you're after a particular taste, you could probably look for something like Masala Curry powder - which is apprently not so hot and is a combination of various spices [that's what i used].

But depending on how hot you like it, i'm sure there are a variety of curry powders out there to choose from.

As for the Trimm-Dich-Pfad, i think we have a forest nearby-ish. I could just walk around the neighbourhood but that's just boring. But the issue really, is actually getting changed and stepping out my front door.

Hmmm.

I will need to figure out some kind of fitness regime soon. And no thanks to my new found cooking hobby, i may have to figure it out sooner =p

xSharonx said...

Thanks for the tips! I hope I don't mess it up haha. Really need to get me some good curry powder!

As for the sport thing -I used to do plain jogging first and I also thought that this was quite boring (and it was, and that's why I often skipped a lot of days... and weeks haha.) But with this Trimm-Dich-Pfad it's different cause you have several exercises/sports equipments between the running. So you're working on your complete body in one run. Like a fitness club outside -for free ^^

BUT I know -getting up is sooo hard. With all the rain and inconsistent weather right now, it's also getting tougher for me :(

winkris said...

Good luck!

And yea, i'll see if there are any Trimm-Dich-Pfad in the vicinity. Cheers for the heads-up! It sure beats paying for a gym membership.

Why pay, when you can actually get it for free ;)

Anonymous said...

OMG you actually made Roti Canai!! cool bananas!!

winkris said...

I know, i'm like totally excited about that!

The trick i found was to use oil when mixing the ingredients and to let the dough rest for a good 20 hours before making them.

It's a helluvalot of waiting but my gawd, is it worth it.

=)