Thursday, August 26, 2010

I prefer to wear nail polish than to have bare nails.

I remember as a child i would watch my mom paint her nails. She'd always apply a base coat to protect the nail bed, then 2-3 coats of colour and once they were dry she'd apply a top coat to seal it. When i asked her why she'd switch off the ceiling fan just before she'd apply her nail polish, she would say it was because it would cause the nail varnish to bubble if she hadn't.

By the time i was thirteen it seemed natural to want to start wearing nail polish and so i did so regularly. I was a Freshman in high school and wearing Poppy dark red matte coloured lipstick to class. It was after all the early 90s and matte lipstick was totally in!

Brands such as Maybelline, Revlon and Sally Hansen were usually the ones that i liked buying. And more than often i would hover around the dark reds and deep purples. The Darker the Better was my motto.

And when i moved to Germany and i didn't have a monthly income, the idea of buying a nail polish that was equivalent to buying a small meal was absurd, so i looked for alternatives.


But my collection of reds continues to grow. The MAC one, i think i stole from my sister when i was living with her, has been thinned out numerous times because it dried out and because i don't have the heart to throw it out.


My favorite nail polish was bought at DM and it's essence multi dimension: 3 in 1 nail polish with XXXL shine - "30 Late At Night". Followed by a layer of P2 8in1 Nail Wonder that functions as a topcoat, nail hardener, colour refresher, nail sealer, quick dry, ridge filler, anti splitting coat and UV protection. I also used it as a base coat.

Each retails for under 2 Euros!


Then when my folks came to see us in July, my mom bought me several presents. One was a set of Mini Nail Lacquers from Colección de España by OPI. The colours inside are Suzi Skis In The Pyrenees, No Spain No Gain, Pink Flamenco and a RapDry Top Coat.

I've never owned or tried on OPI nail polishes before but i had an immediate liking towards Suzi Skis in the Pyrenees. Thinking it was just another "black", i was completely fooled. It's not quite a black but more of a very deep blue-grey.

One Week After Application

I'm amazed with all the washing of dishes and daily typing, that i haven't got one chip! Usually with my more affordable brands by the 3rd or 4th day i will notice some wear & tear but with this one i didn't.

Love the OPI RapiDry Top Coat. It definitely works.

OPI is definitely heaps more than what i'm willing to pay but i guess you pay for the quality and the brand.

I wasn't able to photograph my nails when they were freshly painted, so i can't show you the exact colour but i did google for an image and stumbled upon The Hungry Asian who did.

She managed to capture the colour perfectly!

By the way, if you're into manicures, painting your nails and have a tendency to try out all sorts of colours and brands, you should check out her blog here. She has some great tips and advice.

And after watching one of her how-to-apply-polka-dots video, she answers a readers' question about how many nail polishes she has.

She says if she had to guess it would be around 200 - 300. And in her opinion is not a lot but for the average person it may sound crazy.

WooOooh.

No comments: