Friday, August 06, 2010

Oh. Hello Neighbour.

The UPS delivery man rang my doorbell just now since my landlord wasn't home. But because i was taking out a fresh banana loaf out of the oven at that very second, i didn't get to the door immediately. And as usual if nobody is at home, the delivery people just leaves the packages with our neighbors for us to pick up. Apparently, everyone in our neighborhood is that trustworthy.

So as i raced downstairs, guess who was downstairs!?

Yup, the neighbour who is having that massive 25th Anniversary party tomorrow. And without thinking twice went outside to get the package from him so i could just put it outside my landlord's door. I thanked him and turned around, only for him to ask if J and i were going to their party.

Uh oh.

How do you tell somebody politely that you don't want to can't go? Let alone explain why you didn't even bother to RSVP.

I felt like someone threw the spot light on me and all eyes were waiting for me to reply.

I tried to scrape together enough German to say that we were driving up north tomorrow and that i wasn't sure if we could make it. He replied with something i didn't understand but having been caught off guard, i suddenly felt cornered and quickly blurted out, "Maybe. I must ask J."

For all i know he could have asked me my opinion about the marquees and whether they're making too much noise.

I should really learn to say, i don't understand when I seriously DON'T UNDERSTAND.

I mean what if he REALLY did ask me about the marquees outside. Or whether i mind listening to Alicia Bridges - I Love The Nightlife on full blast and to that i replied with, "Maybe. I must ask J."

No wonder he looked at me a little bit strange after.

Damn it!

Why did i have to go outside to begin with!? Why couldn't i have ignored the doorbell as i've done so many times before.

Being put under pressure makes me do/say silly things sometimes. Now we definitely have to go over and be all neighbourly.

2 comments:

the fish from the other side of the world said...

hahah great story chrissie.. time to brush up your germs. miss u loads. E

winkris said...

Heya eekers! Yea, i know.

Sigh. *Stares at the ground and kicks a pebble to the side*

Miss you too! Oh and don't forget to email me your contact details for Skype.

=)