Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Leek Quiche + Pasta with Smoked Tofu and soy cream

There was a time when my only task for the day was deciding when i should wash the dirty dishes in the sink. Oh and of course, figuring out what exciting new developments was going on in my life and then blogging about it.

But now with a steady flow of projects, that should technically keep me occupied well into next year, my week days and weekends tend to sometimes blend into one. Hence, the reason why i've been missing lately.

Working from home has its' benefits but it sure can get monotonous.

Which probably explains my latest passion, Baking.

Baking gives me time to concentrate on something else other than trying to meet a deadline. And as a bonus for being semi-productive, i get to eat my hard earned work. How good is that!?

And as a non-meat eater who still eats seafood but had no experience with incorporating soy or smoked tofu into my meals, i was interested to see whether i would like it.

My regular readers, who were succumbed to months of Drama & Tears and the occasional one night stand, are now forced to read about my eating habits - which now that i think about, is probably as exciting as watching me paint my nails. But now that i don't really have a social life and have become somewhat of an unofficial wifey, what else is there for me to do but improvise.


My latest challenge was to bake a Vegan Leek Quiche with Smoked Tofu - click for recipe. Originally made by fellow blogger, Sharon, whom i've recently been inspired to introduce some Vegan recipes into our meals. I've only eaten quiches made with eggs, in fact, i had no idea that one could make a quiche without eggs.

Interesting.

But i didn't actually have any soy cream in the fridge at the time, so i replaced it with normal cream. Which technically doesn't make it "vegan" or less fattening for that matter.


My only comment would be that i made the crust too thick but other than that, i loved it! Next time, i'm going to try using soy cream as the recipe had stated.

Oh how i LOVE leeks!

I had also tried making Sharons' other recipe, Pasta with smoked Tofu + onions in Soy cream sauce - click for recipe. I had made the dish before using full cream but found it very filling and almost felt sick after having eaten that much cream in one sitting.

I'm a definite Rice, Potatoes and Pasta monster! Yes, Carbs are definitely my friend.


So anyway, i went out especially to look for some soy cream. It's much more expensive than regular cream and the supermarket we normally go to doesn't stock it. So when i found the soy cream i was excited - proof that even the smallest things in life can make me happy. And after looking at the fat content, it was enough to make me think, Holy crap! 30 grams versus 2.5 grams of fat. It's no wonder Vegans are so slim.

I don't count calories but the facts are impressive.


There is a definite difference in taste even after it's cooked. And the nuttiness [i think that's what it is] isn't as dominating as when you taste it fresh. Having made this, it definitely changed my view of cooking with soy cream. And using the vegetable broth powder as extra seasoning is a must to add more flavor.

But like with all cooking, it's best to taste it as you go along. Now i can eat just as much without feeling so guilty.

4 comments:

xSharonx said...

Haha, we kinda have the same taste when it comes to food. It's nice to see that someone actually tries my recipes :)

PS:
What soy cream did you use? Cause on the picture it looks like you have used the "Sojade" yoghurt which I also use for cooking sometimes but mostly for other stuff like: adding it to fruits, cereals and stuff or making tzatziki of it.
For creamy sauces for pasta or lasagna etc, I mostly take this one:
http://tinyurl.com/26uvfyl

It's good at the price and the taste is great too :) (and you can find it in most of the common supermarkets)

winkris said...

Yea the brand was Sojade but i'm not actually sure if it was yoghurt or cream... ahahha. It didn't really say on the packaging. Hmmm.

Oops i think i may have got the wrong thing, oh well it tasted good.

I went to Schenke Bio supermarket and they didn't have Alpro Soya there but now that i know what the packaging looks like, i know what to look for when i check out the other supermarket. THANKS!

Kim-Anh Nguyen said...

mmhhhhh looks so yummi !!!!

winkris said...

Thanks & oh it was! =) Looking food pictures always makes me hungry.