Thursday, February 12, 2009

Victoria's Killer Fires continue to burn.

"A bushfire burns in the Bunyip State Forest near the township of Tonimbuk."
Picture: AAP/Andrew Brownbill

"Trees, looking like burnt matches, show the fury of the fire."
Picture: Mark Smith

Unbelievable images and video footage continue to float around the internet of the devastation. Some even give me goosebumps! The Herald Sun newspaper has a gallery called Victoria's Killer Fires on their website. And just flicking through some of the photos brings a tear to my eye. They even have a shot of my friend, Captain H and what's left of Roslyn.

"CFA volunteer Hayden looks at the remains
of 100-year-old Roslyn House, in Taggerty, which he rented."
Picture: Norm Oorloff


Not too long ago, i received an email from KatieBaby to say that their 100-year old farmhouse was swallowed up by the flames. Luckily nobody was there at the time. I guess in times of disaster one only hopes one doesn't know anyone directly involved. And kudos to Hayden for volunteering to help put out the fires.

My thoughts go out to those who have family and friends affected by the fires. But i cannot begin to imagine what the people of Victoria or Australia for that matter, are going through right now. Loved ones perished in the flames, homes burnt down to a crisp and memories down to pieces of ash. I'm sure the fear of their safety, loved ones, friends and well-being plagues the back of most minds.

I can only thank my Guardian Angels and those looking out for me that i've never been put in a Life-Death situation like that. BUT if i ever was *knocks on wood* and only had 10 minutes to pick 3 personal items to grab before running out of a burning house, i'm thinking they would be;

1.) My handbag which holds a USB memory stick of photographs and current saved working files. My camera, tobacco/filters/rolling paper, loose change, ATM card, Health Insurance card and Passport.
2.) My teddy bear, Timmey, that i got from my parents when i turned 2 years old.
3.) A fully charged mobile phone. Only because i don't own an Address book and my phone has all my numbers such as loved ones and family.

So without thinking for too long, what would YOU take?

...

"CFA volunteer David Tree helps a distressed koala in burnt-out forest at Mirboo North."
Picture Russell Vickery


Here's an amazing moment captured that i'm sure has touched many hearts around the world. Perhaps you've seen that image of a particular Koala being given water? Well i found the shot in the gallery and it's of CFA volunteer David Tree helping Sam the Koala in a burnt-out forest at Mirboo North. There's even a mini video of the moment Sam was found [here].

And you will be pleased to know that Sam is in good hands and will be released back into the Wild once she has recovered. So cute. I want a Koala too!

Donations can be made at the Australian Red Cross website or you can do so by clicking [here].

No comments: