Friday, October 29, 2010

There's Gratitude.


As i stood in my kitchen eating my way through a 400 gram jumbo roasted peanuts bag, i decided that being rewarded for all the hard work is worth all the effort. It's like eating pistachios, it's just not the same eating ones that have been already de-shelled.

Ya know what i mean?

Unless of course you're allergic to nuts then i guess you'd have no idea. But really it's often those simple pleasures in life that are taken for granted.

And as random as me sharing with you my adoration for peanuts, J came home yesterday afternoon in a much better mood.

*gasps*

I know right, shock horror!

I didn't question his sudden lift in spirits because i wasn't sure how long it would last. It's like trusting a tamed lion, how long can you really trust him before he lashes out and tries to rip your head off? The last thing i wanted was to jinx it and be in the front line for another outbreak.

But i went along with it and all was fine and dandy.

As mysterious as a sudden storm appearing out of nowhere, it felt like everything was back to normal. And by normal i mean we were chatting as if yesterday mornings' incident didn't even happen and we were back to calling each other by our pet name.

He even wandered over to my desk to ask how my work was going. And when i showed him my initial layouts he could only give me positive feedback.

And you know what, hearing him say those things was like my music to my ears and a real boost to my self-confidence.

Not only because i think it's a huge compliment that he thinks highly of my work but since i know he can be quite critical at times. For example, he would even spot the slightest misalignment or mistaken gradient change and insist i reprint it. Which, in a way, i am thankful that he has an eye for detail.

Generally i don't mind constructive criticisms but if it's only to criticize and put me down then it's only normal to become defensive.

AND

he even helped me prepare dinner.

Never mind all he did was roll out the pre-made pizza dough, cut the tomatoes and fed part of the canned tuna to Luna and Yoshi as a treat. It's the thought that counts and the voluntary help that i appreciated.

And even though he still went online to join his clan after dinner, i didn't make a fuss. Well not one that was that noticeable. So i thought it was only fair that i wasn't a complete bitch and rob him entirely of his obsession. However, i did have to ask whether he has any plans on gaming again tonight. He says, no not tonight.

Hmmm. We'll see about that.

Wait! There's more...

Instead of lighting his cigarette as he usual does in the living room, he went out on to the balcony to get his dose of nicotine. How long will this act of courtesy go on?

I can't be sure but i found it necessary to thank him when he came back in from the cold.

Unless you're new here and haven't been following my saga for the last two weeks, then you wouldn't know one of the main causes that sparked our uproar was me getting really pissed off with being forced to breathe in his secondhand smoke in the apartment.

As a born-again non-smoker, i'm particularly sensitive and it really makes no difference how many scented candles one lights at the end of the day. The odor of cigarette smoke continues to linger long after the fire has burnt out.

All in all, even though my day started on the shit side of the scale yesterday and i shed some tears of frustration, i can finally see some effort he is making to bring back the harmony. I guess at the end of the day whether one is in a relationship or not, what's important is understanding it takes a little give and take to find that balance.

Yes i know, i may sound like i'm preaching and once Monday rolls in there is that slight chance that a plethora of disagreements could have erupted over the weekend. And there i'll be back to square one wondering where we went wrong and whether all the heartache is really worth it.

So i'm bringing along a multi-pack of Smiles for tomorrows' overnight stay in Hamburg. And who knows, if all works out with Js job interview and they offer a good deal, we may just end up moving up there at the end of the year.

***

8:08

But before i fall off this wave of positivity and get pushed back into the deep end again, i wanted to personally thank again those who have commented, e-mailed, tweeted or inboxed me on facebook to show me their concern.

I am very touched that even though i may not know some of you at all, the thought that you even bothered to reach out to a stranger reassures me that my words have not completely gone to waste.

And to my silent readers, thank you for coming back to see if i haven't completely lost it.

5 comments:

xSharonx said...

I wish I could eat as many peanuts (or nuts in general) as you do, but yes, I'm a bit on the allergic side...

Anyways, I'm so happy for you that your evening turned out to be that peaceful :)

winkris said...

Oh i'd be so sad if one day i became allergic to them! They are definitely one of my weaknesses even way back as a child.

Stories of me stealing a jar of peanuts and hiding behind the curtain is a story that has been told many times in my family.

And yay i'm happy too that my evening ended peacefully. Imagine going on a mini getaway with someone you were having conflicts with, i'm sure it would make out to be a very uncomfortable one.

By the way, happy halloween for Sunday since i probably won't be able to go online this weekend.

=)

winkris said...

Oh and don't forget to turn your clock one hour back. Day light savings ends at 2AM on Sunday.

Yay, for one more hour of sleep!

xSharonx said...

I forgot to mention that I'm eating a lot of nuts anyway! Even if my mouth is itching and my stomach gets weird, hehe.

Ahhh right, I didn't think of this and now it's probably to late... anyways, Happy Halloween! And a happy trip!

winkris said...

Well they do say, if you want to overcome an allergy you're meant to keep eating the food type that causes the reaction. Although, i'm not sure how good that idea is, since many times the allergic reaction can be so intense that it could be fatal.

I guess that's why they've developed antihistamines for that.

And thanks, i hope you had a nice halloween.