Friday, October 01, 2010

I Got New Clothes!

Yesterday was the first time for two things; firstly, i rode my bicycle into the city and back home on my own. Normally, i would take the bus or just walk but i was feeling somewhat confident. And so i made sure that i used the side streets to avoid being run over by any moving vehicles. But more importantly saved cars from being scratched.

Then secondly, i went on a bit of a shopping spree.

I can't remember the last time i was able to go into a store and not think twice about the price tag. Obviously, choosing stores that i could afford makes complete sense. But even those stores i can afford to shop in, often many items would be over my budget. And i would have to settle for an item less than 10 Euros and that's if i'm really lucky.

Having no or very little disposable income can be a good thing since it forces me to pay more attention to what i'm buying.

And being self-employed and being payed only in stages often means a huge bulk of the money goes to paying bills first.

But before i'm counting my cents again, i thought i'd treat myself.

I realised sometimes a night out for dinner & drinks doesn't quite fit the hoodie + t-shirt + flats look i am often forced to wear, simply because i don't really have anything else hanging in my cupboard that fits me.

And if there's one thing i do like about cooler temperatures, especially Autumn, is the ability to layer my clothes under a comfy sweater.

So amongst various other toiletries i bought at DM, these were my H&M purchases from yesterday;



  1. Black cardigan with 4 buttons
  2. Black cotton pullover
  3. Long thin shirt
  4. Open front cardigan
  5. 3-pack boxershorts for the boyfriend
  6. Thick grey leggings
  7. Thick black tights

I'm not sure if it was a coincidence that all the items were black or grey. I guess at the end of the day it's much easier to mix & match. Plus i have a tendency to hover around dark colours anyway - a habit i've formed from a long time ago.

Oh and i also needed a pair of light-coloured bootleg cut jeans. That was my main reason for going shopping to begin with.

The pair J bought me last year had a habit of bunching at my knees after i sat down for too long, giving my legs that chicken drumstick appearance the second i got up.

And thanks to those cakes and cookies i've been baking, they've decided to set camp around my thighs and arse, adding some curves to my shape and rear end.

So i went into my first store wanting a pair of light-coloured blue bootcut jeans but instead left with something else. Don't you just hate that?

LEFT: Black CROSS Laura Denim Bootleg
[Although the photo above looks dark brown on my screen, in real life it's black.]
+
RIGHT: Dark Blue STREET ONE Georgia + the belt
[The stitching on the back pockets are diffrent from what is online
& they're coloured blue and grey.]

Both are much more hugging than what i'm used to and one has only a slight bootleg cut to it. J says it makes my legs look slimmer. Compared to my dark brown corduroy 'phatties' which could easily fit another leg in each side, these jeans actually give me a somewhat perky arse - a definite bonus, i say!

But first i gotta wash them so i could shrink them slightly since they're a little bit too long for me. But i think the true test is to wear them out for a day or two and see how the material stretches.


And last but not least from the Euro Shop, a pair of super comfy socks with little flower shaped sticky things at the bottom so i don't slip. Perfect for those with cold feet and/or just to walk around in at home.

5 comments:

xSharonx said...

I like your new clothing very much. I'm also a huge fan of dark - preferably black and grey and sometimes dark blue - clothing. I'd definitely take all the stuff you bought if you would offer it to me :P

I wish I was able to shop without thinking about the money just one time! But I guess I would spend a huge sum also on books, movies and games ;) (and whatever comes in my way, haha)

winkris said...

=)

Yea books, original DVDs and games aren't that cheap here either. Well a little retail therapy ain't so bad once and a while. I think we deserve them!

Kraneia said...

At least you find stuff that fits you.

My "best" jeans are 16H. In *boys* size (Uhmm.. I'm female?? lol)

Scratch

crazy_nia said...

oooo soo jealous you have h&m to shop at... they don't even ship to au.. booo

p/s - love the stuff u chose

xx

winkris said...

Scratch: Well that day i was lucky. Most of the time when i try jeans on [that is if i can be bothered to get in to the changing room to begin with] some part is always sagging or i'm losing feeling in my thighs because they're too tight.

What is with them skinny jeans? They should be called bony jeans!

But majority of the time they're too long. Even one of the jeans i bought has to be altered because they didn't shrink as much as i wanted in the wash.

Well just think by buying boys size jeans, you save on money.

I mean i bought a winter vest meant for boys and saved myself like 30 Euros.

"Most good things come in small packages" - well that's what i like telling myself. ;)


Crazy_nia: True but you have Sportsgirl, Dangerfield, Target and JB Hi-Fi.

P.S. THANKS!