Friday, July 06, 2007

All 'round International in a local setting.

With the weekend approaching, my brain has momentarily shut off.

A farewell lunch for a colleague at Delicious has given me another reason to stuff myself with my loved carbs. The heated chocolate cake has highlighted how tired i really am.

The afternoon sunlight peeping from under the shades and chilled air has made the bean bags look even more inviting. It doesn't help that i've developed a wicked headache which i am hoping will vanish before the day ends. Possibly a sign of dehydration and a desperate cry for panadol. But definitely the least of my problems to date.

The past few weeks i've gotten back in contact with a few school mates from as far back as Elementary school. Having crossed paths again has thrown me back on the emotional roller coaster. Missing friendships and genuine love that came out of close contact.

The fact that we were enrolled in an International School gave us that common dominator that foreigners have once they're in a foreign land. Majority having grown up with English being our mother tongue with a choice of French or Spanish as a second language. I chose French but somehow failed miserably even though i took it for several years but thats besides the point.

Maybe it's just me but the older i get the more confused i am as to where i truly belong.

I don't fit in the Asian mould of speaking another dialect neither do i reflect the typical porcelain skin of an expatriate. I don't have permanent residency in the very country my passport states neither do i have a country i call home.

But who would have thought leaving those buffered and polished International School gates would cause so much confusion as an adult. Or maybe that's just me.

So i continue to walk around in sheep's clothing and my skin colour so happens to blend in effortlessly. So much in fact, i've nearly perfected the glazed stare and disguise. But i realised the more practice i get, the more out of place it feels... the more unsettled i am.

It's an never ending issue and a reason that i can't make complete sense of.

No comments: