Monday, October 15, 2007

Habits vs. Health vs. Willpower

No thanks to my absent-mindedness and typical last minute ordeals, i forgot to pack my meds. I *thought* i put them in my bag but i'm guessing with the rat incident and running around like a lost chicken on Friday it slipped my mind.

So once Sunday came around my brain was starting to hurt [it was that squeezing effect that i can't tolerate and i already missed one dose] so i went through my bags to find that my nightmare was a reality. I rushed to the nearby doctor to get a prescription and after an hour and paying a consultation fee that was all of 5 minutes worth and requesting for 5 pills i didn't care, i simply rushed to the pharmacy eager to wave the piece of paper in front of the pharmacist.

Within the hour, the evil symptoms were gone and i was able to get on with my day as normal.

But whilst waiting my turn at the pharmacy i saw a leaflet for Nicotinell. A chewing gum which helps dampen nicotine craving. Yes, believe it or not as of Saturday 13 October i've decided to quit smoking!

*gasps*

A habit i've supported for 14 years. The last time i attempted this was during my uni days and i only lasted 5 days. After which i caved and the stress from uni work became too much and i felt the BITCH in me was unleashed.

And although it's only been 2 days, i'm happy to say i've only shared 2 cigarettes with my mom and have only inhaled a small amount of second hand smoke. So i think i'm doing well.

*pats her own back*

The quit smoking gum tastes like mint and apparently releases small amounts of nicotine. At the start it does taste a bit strange and like an instant shot to the brain it miraculously calms me down. But seeing that i'm not in my every day environment and i'm not accompanied with a night full of booze, i'm not sure how i will react. I guess i'll just have to wait till i get to that hurdle.

Proof that there's no harm in trying.

Mmmm ain't that a beauty!
Thanks to deerparkfamilydoctors.com

2 comments:

tek said...

good for you. hope the gum helps :)

Ms. Redd said...

*puts on cheerleader outfit*