Monday, January 28, 2008

The Power of Three Small Words

I came across this little article and thought i'd share...
I bet if I told you "these 3 small words" began with "I" and ended with "you", you'd probably think you knew which phrase I was referring to. Suppose I further revealed that the middle word begins with "L" and ends with "E". I can hear your screaming, "I'd like to solve the puzzle, Pat!". But, unless you guessed, "I like you," then no bonus prizes for you.

I like you. Feels good doesn't it? Can you remember a time right now when anyone (male or female) said, "I like you"? There's something about those words that establish a connection between two people that is very real. What about, "I love you", you ask? "I love you" is a great and powerful phrase when used between two people who truly love each other. But, the problem with those three small words is that in sexual/dating relationships, they are often misused, overused, forced, and/or rushed.

When you're in a new relationship, thinking about when to drop the "ILY" bomb can be as nerve-racking as the first kiss or first time in the bedroom. Sometimes, one partner feels like it's been so long that they are obligated to utter these three fateful words, just so the other person won't feel offended or neglected. Now, the other person feels like they have to return this "love", or they might risk ending the relationship. Either way, many times those three "magical" words often lead to awkwardness or just plain relationship-ending tragedy. How could "I love you" do that?!

The key is knowing how to express the same meaning behind "I love you", but in a way that you can use near the beginning of a relationship, without drudging up any complications or awkward moments. Enter "I like you". It's very simple, very similar, and very much as powerful. Next time your out on a date, and you and your partner are laughing and having a great time, pause for a second, look them in the eyes, and say, "I like you"... -
[Fit Buff - source]
How true. I'll admit, it's not something that people say to one another or a phrase i've heard often. It may sound a bit odd at first but i'll admit each time i hear it leave the lips of my significant other, it's enough to stir up my butterflies and i can't help but smile like a little girl.

No comments: